cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor ScruffyJohn
New Contributor

Life’s Little Frustrations

Yesterday I signed  up for the Special SIM only $45 per month for 100GB data etc. plan  Let me explain the situation.  I have been overseas for a few months and ideally would like to have internet access on my return this weekend.  I would have preferred to have the SIM posted to my PO Box but that was not permitted.  I was given a temporary account number, my application needed further checking.  Then I receive an email telling me someone needs to chat with me and could I call this 1300 number. Opps, 1300 numbers don’t work from overseas.  I found the Optus online chat system on the website.  I tried to use it but nothing happens on the iPad,  no connection to a consultant.  No problem, I will use my Android LG Q6 Phone.  Well, I made the connection and gathered I needed to send 100 ID points to an Qptus email address.  I would like to challenge an Optus person to use their chat system on the above small phone.  Nearly impossible to follow the discussion, just no screen space with an active keyboard.  Still searching to find someone who would tell me why I needed to call, I found a Complaints email address.  They told me they would get back to me within 24 hours.  The clock is ticking.  Next I found Optus accepts Direct Messages on Twitter so I have tried that line of communication.  Still waiting.  I see Optus also uses Facebook, but I don’t.  Now I have found this great forum and one of the first messages I read is from a frustrated customer who cannot get anyone in Optus to help him resolve his problems.  That is not very encouraging.  There’s more to the story but I expect anyone who got this far is becoming bored so I will terminate the venting of frustration with what should be a simple process.  So far, I would give the company a pretty poor rating.  At least that gives them plenty of scope for improvement.  For reference: OP1561256152187

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Life’s Little Frustrations

Hi there,

That certainly does sound like quite a frustrating experience.

Customers can call Optus from overseas on +61 2 8082 5678 , more information here under Coverage & Travel --> Calling from overseas

The Twitter team will respond to your DM if they haven't already.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Hi Ray, Firstly thank you for responding.  The youth of today need to appreciate some of us in this world are grumpy old men who are very old, hard of hearing, do not like using phones and finally, refuse to wait in a queue for more than 60 seconds.  We attempt to overcome our living difficulties by using the internet, Email, Instant Messaging, online chat sessions (when they work) and other similar products.  Believe me, sometimes we fail and give up in frustration.  Reading thru the posts on your Forum tells me I am not alone in having difficulty in dealing with Optus.  Let’s hope we find a way to get the SIM delivered this week.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

As a final update, I eventually found a tablet that would connect to the online chat people.  They would not, or could not, tell me what happened with my original sign up for the sim only plan.  They insisted we go through the whole process again even though they had the details such as delivery address on their computer system.  They told me I could set up direct debit after I activate the sim which is interesting since I had already entered those details in the original exercise.  I wonder who now has my direct debit banking details.  The people who answer direct messages on Twitter and Facebook seem to be very nice people in am impossible job, constrained by the poor operating processes implemented by the Optus management.  Since they have little access to customer details it proved impossible for them to add any value.  We will find out next Monday if the sim was delivered and what happened to it when there was no one home to sign for it.  Taken to the nearest post office I am told yet when I asked for the sim to be sent to that very same post office where I have a post office box I was told that is not possible. “We only deliver to the home address” is the Optus rule and there is no one who was capable of changing the rule.  Some people might wonder why this company has a focus on making life so difficult for the customer.  You could call it “The non customer focus attitude”.  Is the problems I experienced common?  Judging by comments in your forum I am not alone in experiencing such a frustrating time in dealing with Optus.  Someone needs to tell Head Office in Singapore to invest resources in developing processes suitable to Australian conditions.  Fixing the web site with its broken links and pages that continually reload themselves would be a good start.  That could be followed up by researching why so many people cannot connect connect to the online chat consultants.  Merely blaming the device with Ad blockers, strange cookies, different browsers, VPN in use, etc is just an excuse for a poor implementation of the chat system.  Finally, send a message to Head Office and tell them to give their Twitter and Facebook consultants the power to meet the customer needs by giving them access to customer databases etc.  I suspect this is nothing more than wishful thinking, nothing will be done and customers will continue to be frustrated.  Your measure of success is when you have little to do all day because customers don’t need your help.  I can’t see that happening in the near future.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors