cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor algieboy
New Contributor

Late payment fee

I think it is pretty ordinary as a long standing customer with an equally long standing history of 'on-time' payments, to be charged a late fee of $15...seems like loyalty only goes one way with optus eh?...too bad.

20 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Late payment fee

Have you contacted Optus to query the charge? Its applied automatically but some customer service people can credit it back if it looks like a one off against a history of good payments. But its a bit of pot luck if you get such a person.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor SnakePlissken
Occasional Contributor

Loyalty goes both ways, I am searching for a new service provider as soon as my local NBN is available. There goes my 10 years of loyalty...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Totally agree. Optus and Telstra have had a duopoly on high speed broadband for decades. IMO Optus need to do a lot more in fostering customer loyalty and flexibility and looking out for customers (instead of customers having to try avoid serious pitfalls) would be a good place to start.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

$15 is an insult, I am a student and bearing this for a 4 day late payment is a joke, I even took the courtesy of calling them to make this arrangement, only to be told there would be a $15 late payment fee. I now no longer call them, courtesy goes both ways too, I'll let all my woes be read on their portal. It wont look good for them.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Completely understand the sentiment guys.

If we haven't received payment by the due date, a late payment fee is automatically applied to the next invoice. 

There's no system in place that takes into account a customer’s payment history and adds the fee based on a good/bad payment history.

It's definitely worth speaking with us on Live Chat. We will take individual financial circumstances into account. It's also important to note that if there's less than $50.00 owing on the account - the late payment fee will not apply.

I even took the courtesy of calling them to make this arrangement,

Payment extensions are there to ensure that your service isn't suspended whilst we wait for payment. 

Payment extensions

IMPORTANT INFO

If you don’t accept the offered extension, then your due date will remain the same. Please note that organising a payment extension may not prevent the application of late fees or service restrictions.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So if I put in a complaint to TIO regarding how you supposedly offer online extentions to where the service is never available then I have to waste my time and effort in calling you just so I can explain I might be 4 days late with a payment?.

This is not a service, it is a hinderance.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SnakePlissken,

You seem to be overlooking the fact that it is you who have broken your agreement (by not paying on time) and are looking for Optus to somehow be the ones at fault? Notification of a late payment (online or via the app is fairly straight forward usually but if not then LIVECHAT or phoning is an option). Yes its a chore, but one you have created.    

Notification only stops your service being suspended, it doesn't negate any late fee.

Easiest way to avoid it is to pay your bill on time.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I haven't broken any agreement when Optus provides a service for late payment, given the fact I am paying for a service that continually drops out, also for an 8 hour outage, and because of a computer error I now have to pay an additional $15 per month?

Who is in breach of the agrement here?.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I mis-stated. Yes, you are within the contract triggering a late fee and Optus is within the contract charging the late fee. You seem to feel Optus are wrong doing the later even though you did the former?

As for the other connectivity issues, that's a much broader scope than this thread is about. You might want to make a seperate post for crowd comments about that.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos