cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor donnferr
New Contributor

Re: Is there a way to turn mobile data off from the account rather than the device?

When our contracts run out we will go back to Vaya where this can be done.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor RK1970
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is there a way to turn mobile data off from the account rather than the device?

I can't say how Vaya are currently, but when I was with them years ago, they would delay turning the data off until we were way over our caps, citing 'lag' as the reason. So even though they looked cheap on paper, they cost us a fortune. 

Since leaving optus I've gone with Jeenee and been very happy. You can choose with them whether to automatically add extra data when you reach your limit or cut it off.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Gleave75
New Contributor

This feature is needed desperately! I have 5 phones on my account and would love to cap them. You should be able to choose if they go over rather than automatically 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The Optus business model depends on fleecing around 10% of customers each month for way more than what they signed up for. If you want protection then Optus prepaid will cut off data the second you use too much. Optus post paid will maybe cut it off at around the $1500 mark each month.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey Gleave75,

Customers have the ability to manage their data usage and receive usage alerts to assist them in not going over their monthly allowance.

You can opt to have the usage alerts for all the services sent to your service if you wish so you're aware of what's going on.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Gleave75
New Contributor

I have that set up and also monitor usage through the APP. But teenage kids don't listen, and when they're over 100klms away some of the time it's hard to take their phone off them, or get them to turn off their data. Would be great to dynamically turn data off/on per handset within my account so I can force them to stop using it when they have hit their limit, without costing me extra when they go over.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If they have an Android phone you can usually set a data warning and cut out limit in the settings that resets to 0 each month.

The kids would have to disable that setting to go past your allocated amount and you could just make it clear that if that is done without permission then next month there will be no mobile data supplied (as you mention you can just turn off their service data for that month). First time they tried it would be a pain but I doubt they'd do it a second.

Personally I don't see that Optus can continue to expose customers to a x150 penalty markup for breaching arbitrary data limits by less than 1%. Its shameful Optus customers need to jump through so many hoops just to try shield themselves from such fees.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Top Contributors