cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor RK1970
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to turn mobile data off from the account rather than the device?

Hi all, I can't find the answer to this anywhere on the Optus site, so hoping someone can advise me.

Is it possible to turn the mobile data off by logging in to your Optus account?  Or does it have to be done on the actual device?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Rachel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is there a way to turn mobile data off from the account rather than the device?

Hi Rachel, I believe you can ask for your mobile data to be turned off permanently. I have not seen any feature in the My Account portal that will allow you to do this yourself. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is there a way to turn mobile data off from the account rather than the device?

Thanks for the quick reply, Yeldarb!  However, I don't want it turned off permanently - just when any of the three phone services on my account reach their data limit for the month.  So this can't be done?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No it can’t be done and many people including myself think this is a poor decision by Optus. From what I understand prepaid is the only option to avoid data usage penalties.

Occasional Contributor

That really is poor - especially since once your data is reached you automatically get topped up!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey RK1970, we can certainly disable your mobile data however you'd need to call us each time you want this enabled. Best to utilise the tools we provide as a guide, to keep track of your data usage or perhaps look into a plan that's more suited to your needs. Customer Service are available on 133937 if you'd like to further discuss.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Donnfer
New Contributor

I had my kids phones with Vaya before moving them to optus and I could turn their data off each month via the Vaya app or Web site when they got close to their limit and turn it back on at the beginning of the cycle. It was great and very easy to use. Optus should include thus feature in the yes app.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hi @Donnfer, thanks for your feedback, we'll put it forward as a suggestion for future versions of the app. 🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor fakesyinthesky
New Contributor

I suspect there are about 50,000 parents out there who would see this as a priority fix (yes, I mean fix)

Tags (2)
Occasional Contributor

It's one of the reasons I left Optus in the end

0 Kudos