cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor tamaradejong
New Contributor

Insurance on upgraded services

I upgraded 2 services online with the onlines sales team through the chat and was assured that by upgrading my services they would have insurance as I ALWAYS have insurance on my devices due to the work my partner and I do. The sales memeber told me they would definitely have insurance but I tried to make a claim and was told they did not add it to my services and now I have a broken phone and can not get it fixed because of the staff member who lied to me when they upgraded me!! 

Who can fix this before I need to escalate this further? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Insurance on upgraded services

What evidence do you have that you requested insurance?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd agree with @10000000000GB,

Telephone plans and insurance are binding contracts that you enter into. You should have some confirmation of the deal in writing (email)? Any insurance should also have appeared on your bill?

In theory a 'verbal contract' is valid. In practice its very difficult to enforce.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor tamaradejong
New Contributor

I have the upgrade order confirmation that was sent to my email for both services and both say device protect $14 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So I'm not sure where that leads. 

Presumably the charge isn't listed on your monthly bill, so as you say, its a case of Optus taking an order for something but never charging for it. They've stuffed up although making things more difficult is that Optus dont' insure your phone its some third party insurance company. 

For any insurance company it ultimately comes down to the contract as to what you are insured for. Generally you should have a contract (and receipt of premium payments) so you can make a claim. You have neither it seems. 

That said the stuff up is due to an Optus clerical error so hopefully they'd realise they need to collect 12? months back pay of insurance (x2) for $384 and then arrange a replacement / fix. IMO the most difficult thing would be the fact you're stuck between two companies (the insurance company won't want to back date payments to a certain claim and Optus won't want to pay out an insurance claim).

All I can suggest is open a dialogue (perhaps in writting an official complaint). Provide a copy of the order confirmation. See what comes back.

Good Luck.

Peter Gillespie

PS if its a screen replacement or the like maybe just pocket the saved premiums and replace the screen yourself? Might come close to break even? Then just ensure you have insurance from today onwards.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

If your contract states insurance was purchased, then you are 100% entitled to it. I would advise asking the insurance team to check your contract agreement.

Even if it didn't show on your contract, but you definitely requested it, we could check the transcript to verify and go from there.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any difficulties getting this looked into and I will follow up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors