Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Glorfindel
New Contributor

Does Netgear Aircard AC810S work in the USA on LTE or only on 3G

Hi

I am in the process of purchasing a Mifi and since I travel a lot wish to have one that would work most everywhere. 

My question will Netgeat AC810S work in the USA on LTE or only on 3G.

Does Netgear upgrade the mifi periodically so that if it does not work currently, it may work at a later stage, even after purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Netgear Aircard AC810S work in the USA on LTE or only on 3G

Hi @Glorfindel,

I don't know the answer to your question (about whether the AC810S works on US LTE), however generally speaking, if it doesn't now, an update won't change that.

LTE is a different type of technology to 4G, and it's the hardware that affects this.

I've had a look at the Netgear website, and unfortunately they don't list the network frequencies that the AC810S supports. The US uses different frequencies to Australia (700 / 850 / 1900 / 2500 MHz in US vs 700 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 in Aus).

So you'll need to find out;

• What frequencies the AC810S supports (Try contacting Netgear directly, or Telstra maybe)
  • What frequency band the US network uses (e.g Verizon uses different frequencies to Sprint)

This is true of 3G - Australian 3G and US 3G are not necessarily the same, and you need to check the frequency bands.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Glorfindel
New Contributor

Hey!

First of all, thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my question, I appreciate!

I will try and find the information you described, however being a novice it will not be so easy for me to do so.

To be honest I find it very frustrating to buy such an expensive piece of equipment (it's the most expensive in the market right now), and then not be able to use to anywhere one wants. Sad that the technical community cannot agree on a set of standards and use them so that users don't have to go through this hassle.

Best

Glorfindel

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

As i know, the Netgear AC810s can only work on 3G network in USA, you may not work with 4G LTE networks in USA due to network incompatibility. You can refer to the LTE frequency bands in USA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos