Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor GRR_NOT_AGAIN
New Contributor

Charged non-direct debit fee for an account in credit

Hi,

6 months ago I signed up to a cable service. I'm charged a $2.20 non-direct debit fee every month, however I signed up with a $500 credit. So I'm getting charged a payment processing fee when actually there's actually no payment to process?

EDIT: I've received the following response from Chat:

Sherman  07:57 PM

Since you have not set direct debit, you will be charged $2.20 even though you have credit in your account.

Please tell me that this is an error? Otherwise, I'll be terminating this service regardless of what it costs me.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Charged non-direct debit fee for an account in credit

The law is pretty specific. Optus has no hold over that $500 credit and if you do decide to leave then Optus owes you that $500 credit. If you don't setup direct debit then Optus is allowed to deduct $2.20 from your account (its not allowed to deduct it from your credit)

FWIW one of the most amazing charges I got was a cash advance fee from my credit card company. I withdrew $500 on my credit card and got charged $20 + 1.5% of the amount. The surprising part of it was I had overpaid my bill by $1000, so the "cash advance" was actually just me withdrawing my own money. 

In the end you owe the $2.20. You're not out of pocket in any way. If you had your way you'd have $497.80 credit. Instead you have a bill for $2.20 and a credit for $500. Tomato, Tomato.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I can confirm the fee has been taken from my credit balance.

Furthermore the bill mentions that all payments made via credit, debit or charge cards incur a 0.385% payment processing fee.

I have yet to make any payment on this account so what is there to process?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ah. now I'm following you a little better. 

Well its a "Payment processing fee". Optus (generously) waives this fee if you use one of the methods it recommends to pay. Otherwise the settling of your bill still requires some level of processing (even puting that credit into the account in the first place)

That said, the contract does say "Exemptions may apply" (but never stipulates what they may be for). You might still be able to find a CSR that agrees to recredit the $2.20 for you (they often have a discretionary amount they can refund to a customer)

Interestingly enough Optus reduced the Direct Debit fees considerably a few years ago.

FWIW, I'd just set up the direct debit and save yourself $25 a year in fees.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello @GRR_NOT_AGAIN

I'm sorry for the delayed response. If you would like us to investigate this, please send us a private message confirming your account number, full name and date of birth. Thank you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks

The way the non direct debit fee is advertised is that it's intended to cover any transaction process fees incurred through customer payments via credit card credit, debit or charge cards.

What Peter didn't comprehend is that it's not a fee charged if I simply don't fill in a direct debit form. I need to make a payment via one of the above aforementioned ways in order to get charged the fee.

I have yet to make any payment using any of the above methods therefore I would reasonably conclude that the fee is not applicable to me or anyone with an account in credit who is charged this fee.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hopefully @Mike-N can sort you.

While you are under the impression this fee is intended to cover certain costs, that's not at all how Optus present it.

Payment processing fee If you don't pay by direct debit (bank account or credit card) or BPay savings, a payment processing fee will apply. For details go to optus.com.au/payments

The clause is exclusionary (so any method you use to settle your account that isn't one of the above will incur a fee.) You had a bill to pay and now you don't. If you used one of the above methods to settle this then the fee doesn't apply. 

FWIW the Payment Processing Fee is something many have railed against.  If you do manage to get it recinded then consider just paying your bill one month in advance. That way your account will always be in credit and Optus can never charge you a payment processing fee (even though you're using a credit card to pay your bill every month Smiley Happy)

Good luck 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Mars22
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I've had some issues with Optus and found the online help people to be no help. If you need an email to contact someone at Optus who can actually help try:
jenny.rees@optus.com.au, allen.lew@optus.com.au, Andrew.sheridan@optus.com.au, Andrew.sheridan@optus.com.au, or Dennis.wong@optus.com.au. they are various management people.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors