Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor juliemc22
Occasional Contributor

Block nuisance email.

Good evening,

I'm currently the target of email harassment. The emails are coming from someone pretending to be someone else. They've created a fake Gmail account. There doesn't appear to be an option to block the sender via my email application, so I'm not sure what to do.  Any suggestions as to how this can be done?

Many thanks.

Julie. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Block nuisance email.

Good evening,

I'm currently the target of email harassment. The emails are coming from someone pretending to be someone else. They've created a fake Gmail account. There doesn't appear to be an option to block the sender via my email application, so I'm not sure what to do.  Any suggestions as to how this can be done?

Many thanks.

Julie. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Block nuisance email.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It can be a bit tricky dealing with this problem, because you may already be suffering from dread of reading the emails. If you don't suffer from dread, you can manually copy the emails into a fake bounce message, to give the perp a sense that the address they just created is a fail.

When I send to an invalid optus address, I get back  --->>

Microsoft Outlook <postmaster@outlook.com>

mail104.syd.optusnet.com.au rejected your message to the following email addresses:

reeriewhfewih@optusnet.com.au (reeriewhfewih@optusnet.com.au)
The address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain. It might be misspelled or it might not exist. Try to fix the problem by doing one or more of the following:

1. Send the message again, but before you do, delete and retype the address. If your email program automatically suggests an address to use, don't select it.
  2. Clear the recipient AutoComplete cache in your email program by following the steps in this article: Status code 5.1.1. Then resend the message, but before you do, be sure to delete and retype the address.
  3. Contact the recipient by some other means (by phone, for example) to confirm you're using the right address. Ask them if they've set up an email forwarding rule that could be forwarding your message to an incorrect address.

mail104.syd.optusnet.com.au gave this error:
<reeriewhfewih@optusnet.com.au>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

If you want to do it manually, you have to set up a fake postmaster @ gmail address in your email client and then send the email back using the fake address.

Really, the chances of them bothering to read it and look for fakery is low, so you can use postmaster at optusnet, and dump a load of junk into the reply email. Just don't do anything suspicious like using australian federal police, or they will smell a rat.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No, I have no idea, unfortunately. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What is your email application and is this on a phone, tablet or pc? The emails you are getting are all from the one Gmail address or multiple Gmail addresses?

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for responding. The email application is Optus webmail, which I access from my PC. And the sender is currently using one Gmail address.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

What do you mean by 'harrassment'?

Are the emails trying to sell a product? Are they personal in nature? Abusive? Do you get 1 a day or 10 a day?

Do they arrive from the same 'fake' email address every time?  

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried marking the messages as spam? 

webmail-spam.jpg

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hi @juliemc22! As @Yeldarb has suggested, the best way to avoid this would be to mark the emails as SPAM. If the emails are coming from a business or promotional site, you can generally 'unsubscribe' at the bottom of the email. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors