Searching...
Accepted Solution

Attack hackers on my account

50plus

Hi, any advice appreciated. I received an email to my optusnet account today warning that my account had been hacked. They claim they can contact my contacts and post a supposed video (there is no video) unless I send bitcoin or US dollars within 48 hours. My concern is they do show that they know one of my known passwords - I’m not sure what for but I know it’s one I’ve used. 

What do I do? They seem to have sent it from my own email account to me.. 

thanks

Re: Attack hackers on my account

Yeldarb

Hmm I would change your passwords to everything you have with Optus and I would also check all your equipment for viruses and malware. More often and not these breaches come from a compromised computer or phone so its important that you check these devices as well as changing your passwords. Do not click, follow or reply to any information sent by these people.

50plus

Thank you. May I ask how I go about checking my phone?

Solution

Yeldarb

There are many different apps available to check phones for viruses and malware and often modern phones already have them. Both Apple and Android have numerous security apps that can be downloaded from their respective stores.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Security%20%26%20Antivirus%20%7C%20Lookout&c=apps

Paddylee

Its just extortion spam, one of the sites you have used in the past was hacked and user data was stolen.

They send out emails to all the logins they store and include the password then try and extort money/bitcoin or they will release some video/browsing history to your contacts.

If you still use that password somewhere then do change it, otherwise nothing you can do - DONT send them any money/bitcoin etc.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

Paddylee

Nothing to do with a compromised application.

Stock standard extortion email as I advised above using comprised details from websites that have been hacked.

Dont pay anything. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
12 Kudos
9 Kudos
8 Kudos
6 Kudos
5 Kudos