Searching...
Highlighted

API for checking data usage

Wintrmute2

Hi,

I'm looking for the API calls to make to check data usage.

My understanding is that if you are using the Optus network, then you do not need to be authenticated, so this should be quite straight-forward -- something like GET api/usages/serviceid/{mobilenumber}, if I'm understanding the Optus App correctly.

Is this information published somewhere?

Re: API for checking data usage

petergdownload

There is no published API.

Best I can suggest is some sort of screen scraping of the numbers, if that's possible?

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

Wintrmute2

Hi Peter,

thanks for responding -- but it's a real pain to screen-scrape for the numbers, and the website can change, breaking the system.

It seems unreasonable that Optus don't allow an automated way to check for usage levels, given how ridiculously expensive data becomes if you go over your limit. ($10 every few minutes, if you keep downloading!!)

petergdownload

I agree the $10 per (uncontrolable) top up is very unreasonable.

Just to check though you are aware the Optus App will show (sort of) realtime usage?

You should also get SMS as you hit 50%, 85% and 100% of your limit.

The Optus website is no more accurate or up to date than these sources.

I'd look to set your phone local usage limit and keep an eye on it yourself.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Wintrmute2

This isn't on my phone - I have a SIM in a 4G modem, and everything in my house goes through it.

Unfortunately the 4G modem/router does not support the concept of data limits, it's not like a phone in that regard. Hence me wanting to automate the process myself -- check data, and if at 99% of limit, tell router to disconnect.

Warning SMSs will just go to the 4G modem and not be seen.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I think you can redirect the SMS to another destination. 

Have a read here

Note that this webpage is largely a CYA page designed to let Optus say "But we 'informed' our customers.

Of particular note is the question Optus ask themselves: "

HOW MANY USAGE LEVELS CAN I EXCEED WITHIN A BILLING MONTH?

Its a fair question. The answer Optus provides is

These plans are truly flexible because we've built in several 1GB data levels just in case you need them.

Contractually the answer is 150 (although its not actually limited to 150, Optus just reserve the right to stop topping you up or continuing further as they decide.) 

Consumer laws prevent misleading and deceptive conduct by companies but describing 150 top ups (at $10 a go) as "several" does seem beyond the pale.

As an addendum Optus are up front telling you in this age of being able to download 100Gb in 10 minutes on 4G that:

Keep in mind that usage alerts are not sent in real-time and can be delayed by up to 48 hours. 

Peter Gillespie

Wintrmute2

Peter, you're going very off-topic there. I'm aware of Optus' billing and the details in the CIS -- that's why I asked my question about ways to check the usage.

My question still stands, in case anyone else can answer it:

How can I programmatically check my Optus Data Usage?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Fair call. It is a bugbear of mine to be sure. IMO customers should not need to be be trying to write third party applications just to try protect themselves from open ended bills.

But more to my point, is that any automated method is just as reliable as any manual method. Even if possible to keep polling Optus data (which it isn't, sorry) Optus only update the data every 15 minutes to 48 hours. So even if you get your API it can't protect you from using too much data unfortunately. I've given a few alternative ways to try protect yourself, but you're right, you have asked a specific question so hopefully another Yes Crowd member or even Optus techy might provide a positive and practical solution.

Peter Gillespie

Wintrmute2

Yep, my preferred solution would be: 

Let me disable automatic $10/1GB top-ups!

In the meantime, I'd like a way to cut off the service at my router, in case I'm out or asleep at the time the quota is breached.

(I can't believe 4G modems don't have a similar feature to phones, where you can have it cut off the data at a certain amount. My router can make an LED flash red to warn me once I go over, but it won't cut it off! I've been trying to figure out how to get the router to let me get it's idea of data usage -- I had it working on the old E5186, but the new Netgear doesn't seem to support it)

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Optus can obviously provide near instant usage results and also cut it off at any pre-specified amount.

However they reserve this functionality for pre-paid customers. 

I don't suppose you can use a pre-paid sim in your router?

As another idea, I had a look for some sort of plug/device you could put between the wall plate and the modem that would simply measure the amount of data going past (and potentially throttle it as needed). Can't find anything like it though.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
23 Kudos
21 Kudos
20 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos