Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor man0action
New Contributor

what signal strength, measured in db, I should expect from the Optus 4G network

I have just upgrade my very old sim which was in a Android 4G handset but due to the old sim could only connect to the Optus HSPA network and was receiving around -85db of signal strength. I have upgraded to a new Optus 4G Network sim card which is avergaging around -105db on Optus 4G network. Android handset, settings and location have remain the same.

I would like to know what signal strength, measured in db, I should typically expect from the Optus 4G network in melbourne metro area.

I look forward to getting some ballpark numbers on this issue

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

man0action

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: what signal strength, measured in db, I should expect from the Optus 4G network

And which device is that?

Numerous factors impact mobile service.

The band/s that its connected to, the phones capability, interference etc

Here is a screenshot from my Note 8.

Screenshot_20190424-121119_Service mode RIL.jpg

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor man0action
New Contributor

Re: what signal strength, measured in db, I should expect from the Optus 4G network

Hi paddyle,

Thank you of the reply. I apprecaite your help

The phone in question is a Galaxy Note3 - SM-N9005 running Android v5.0 Lollipop.

Im not sure where to get the information you showed in your screen shot but please let em know what other info you need me to give you and where / how i can find it.

What are your thoughts on a signal strength of -105db?

Is it a reasonable signal strength?

Is it worth  following up on this or should i just accept it?

Once again thank you for your help

cheers

man0action

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@man0action number is one thing, performace, speed and stability is another. How is your voice and data services going?

@Paddylee from the triagulation of the numbers of the towers' signal of the your screenshot... You must be in Kooroongarra, thats pretty good signal for the middle of no where. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@SillyGogo i admire your sleuth skills but yout ~3+ hours drive off.

Optus has no spectrum license in Kooroongarra for B40/2300Mhz (NBN has it).

Im more metro Brisbane, but think in building coverage 😛

End of the day - using RSRP values is not much use unless you factor in all the other parts of transmission.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Top Contributors