cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dfajardoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

how to properly config a US samsung phone with Optus Australia?

Hi. I am using a Samsung S10e I bought in US. Optus is my service provider in Australia. Although I am not experiencing any issues with optus network and phone seems to be working fine and also getting the regular sotfware updates, I am wondering if my phone is properly configured to work with Optus as I never set up the network in the phone. I just inserted the optus sim card and that was all. I checked that APN is set with Optus (Yes Optus), but not sure whether I need to check also the firmware as this is an overseas phone and maybe other things that I am not aware of?. 

Thanks for your advice.

Some info of my phone:

Model: SM-G970U1

Service provider SW ver: SAOMC_SM-G970U1_OYM_XAA_QQ_0021 R58M21CFMFF XAA/XAA/XAA

Network mode: LTE/3G/2G (autoconnect)

Last software update: Jan 1, 2021

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: how to properly config a US samsung phone with Optus Australia?

If everything seems to be working fine then I wouldn't worry about it. The carrier auto-configuration that is embedded with the SIM card seems to have done its job.

Jack_YC

Hi @dfajardoc, from what you've described it sounds like everything is set up correctly. If 'YES OPTUS' is appearing as your mobile network and you're not experiencing any difficulties it seems everything is okay. 

If you did have any further technical questions, I recommend contacting our Technical teams directly through the My Optus App. They'll then be able to verify your details then check your individual service for you. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

dfajardoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc and @Jack_YC , that is what I thought: If I was not having issues it should be working fine, however, with the new RCS android messages, for instance, it seems that is important to have the Optus firmware as RCS services are being managed by each service operator and my RCS is not working with samsung messages. As I am still using an unbrand US firmware XAA (not the OPS Optus) I thought it may have something to do with it?. My understanding is that Optus support RCS in android devices including samsung, but my samsung message app is not supporting RCS despite I am using Yes Optus network. That's why I came to the conclusion that there may be other things I haven't properly set up in my phone to work with Optus.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

@dfajardoc when you check the settings in the Samsung Messaging app, does a 'Chat Settings' option appear there? I believe the options under that heading are the RCS chat features for the Samsung Messaging app. Different settings apply if you're using the Google Messages app. 

If you're still experiencing any difficulties with that, please contact our techs via the My Optus App. That way they'll be able to verify your specific mobile service and assist further.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
dfajardoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey @Jack_YC thanks again for your message. 'Chat Settings' option doesn't show in my Samsung message settings. Yes, you right, that's where RCS is located in Samsung devices.

I will check with tech support in the Optus app as you advised and will come back here to leave the response. Hopefully I can find the solution to fix it. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I suggest you take a look at this thread, and post any further questions there.

Jack_YC

No worries @dfajardoc. As @YetAnotherAcc has also linked, there is another thread where our members are discussing RCS. I recommend checking that out too. 

0 Kudos