Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why has Optus taken over 8 days to port and activate my service?

I am porting my number over from another Optus based provider (Internode) to Optus postpaid. I received my SIM on 15 September, and contacted Optus on 18 September with all the relevant details (including Internode account number) to begin the port and activation. I was told "15 minutes to 4 hours"... 4 hours later and nothing. I contacted them on the Tuesday and said my service was still not active - I was told the activation was "stuck". I was told an IT case had been raised and that it would take 24 to 48 hours for them to definitely sort the issue - I obviously wasn't happy, but waited the 48 hours... still nothing. I have contacted Optus every day since and spoken to "customer service" agents, having to explain my situation again and again. I was told it would be active on Saturday (nope), Monday (nope) and most recently today:

Agent (12:16:05 Australia/Melbourne) : Your number will automatically active with in 15 minutes to 4 hours. Port successful. 
Visitor (12:16:34 Australia/Melbourne) : I really hope this is true
Agent (12:16:57 Australia/Melbourne) : This will go through 100 % as your number already released from Internode and your new SIM will be active shortly.  
Agent (12:17:06 Australia/Melbourne) : No worries.. Its my promise.

I am now beyond the 4 hour "maximum" period. This is the fifth timeframe that I have been promised and has been broken (the words promise and guarantee have been explicitly used by the agents I have chatted to). I have been without my mobile service for 8 days now - Internode terminated my service on the very first day I tried to get Optus to activate my postpaid.

I want to ask - why would it ever possibly take so long to have this resolved? And what can I do? Who can I speak to who will actually help, because everyone I have spoken to so far has not helped, just made false promises and left me incredibly frustrated and stressed.

20 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Why has Optus taken over 8 days to port and activate my service?

9 days now and still nothing. The agent who promised yesterday that my service would be active also close the IT case that had been open for 168 hours and unresolved. My guess is the next person I speak to will tell me they need to open an IT case to get the "stuck port" fixed and that it will be 24-48 hours to resolve it... and then I can do this whole dance all over again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @BeresD if you get in touch with Live Chat and tell them they need to speak with Mobile Porting Support, they should be able to get it done. Sorry for all the dramas surrounding this 😞 I've honestly no idea why, but ports between the same carrier can actually take a bit longer than usual sometimes and more often than ports between different carriers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have spoken to them already - dozens of times. It is a total waste of time - I have chat logs of my interactions with them. They are completely clueless and unable to help with this for some reason. I have finally had contact from someone in Customer Relations after putting in a TIO complaint, which seems to be the only way to actually get someone to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm waiting for my service to be activated too. Hasn't been as long as you (only 3 days), but I'm worried my activation might be "stuck" too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My advice would be to escalate it as much as possible as soon as possible. I am now at 11 days and nobody has yet offered me any real explanation about what has happened or been able to give me a timeframe of when I will have my service active - don't be like me and give the support team the benefit of the doubt, I have been given 5 timeframes that have been and gone thus far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @strangewhine and BeresD normally a port takes around 4 hours unless there are system issues of if the details doesn't match with your existing provider. MayI please request you to contact our sales support expert here → http://yesopt.us/chat2us so that we can check the port.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Aman_B as explained above I went on Optus Chat dozens of times and nobody can or would help me. What has happened seems to be beyond their capability to help. Currently sitting at 13 days without my service. I have now been told by the Customer Relations Executive that the issue was because it was "accidentaly put through as a regular port rather than a same carrier port" as my previous provider used the Optus network. Good to know that a simple mistake like that by one of your staff can cause a customer to be without service for 2 weeks (at least).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @BeresD, you've been disconnected from your older provider as a result of us submitting the port incorrectly? The main difference between a same carrier port and standard port comes down to the process we use. A number can be transferred from another Network provider simply by providing a matching account number and account name.

A same carrier port requires us to contact the loosing provider and obtain a CID code. We submit the CID along with a matching DOB to successfully bring your number across. Are you able to send us a PM with your details? We need your full name, DOB and mobile number. We'll check what's happening with this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Dan_C. The only information I have is that It's 14 days since I first contacted Optus to have the number ported over. Soon after I got off the phone with the Optus agent, my Internode SIM started showing "No Service". I was told 15 mins to 4 hours for activation. Obviously that hasn't happened, and I have been in contact with Optus support almost every day since trying to get this sorted. I have been given 6 timeframes by Optus service agents for activation now, which have all been and gone.

I provided Optus with the correct information - the provider, the account number with that provider, my DOB, etc. If the person doing the port did not know that Internode are a reseller using the Optus network, that is the fault of Optus, not myself. All information I have provided has been correct, yet it is now 2 weeks since my service with Internode has been shut off, and nobody seems to know how to fix it and have my number ported over and activated. The Mobile Number Portability Code says "Performance levels: 90% of ports to be completed within 3 hours and 99% of ports to be completed within two business days." We are now at fivetimes the timeframe for the 99% performance level criteria.

0 Kudos