Searching...

Why am i not surprised?

Johnt_2017

Ok, so thinking i was doing the right thing, i asked the Yes Crowd the other week whether there was cell tower congestion in my area before embarking on a data sim service - and from the responses and PMs i was told that there was no congestion and that I  was within the coverage area (the map shows full coverage with external antenna).

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Network-Coverage/Cell-Tower-Congestion/m-p/271520/highlight/true#M7...

Ok, so spending $70 on the service, $30 for the USB model and $150+ for a 16dbi yagi for the roof, i was hoping to ditch the current ADSL issues which i've been having for the past couple of years.

Oh no !

Get everything setup and installed only to find that the speed fluctuated between 1.5mb/s during peek and then 15-25mb/s off peak and always with consistently high upload speeds >10mb/s.

Ok, so after multiple PMs to the moderators here, plus a couple of 2 hours conversations with incompetant Optus techs talking in circles, i'm getting nowhere fast. Given that my issues are only during peak times i can only think that it is congestion.

Soooooooooo, given that i am unlikely to get any decent response out of Optus, how do i make a formal complaint so that i can pass this on to the TIO for resolution? I will be looking for compensation for the money that i have spent based on incorrect information and failure to provide the service advertised.

I have a couple of PMs going on at the moment, but even the information i am getting through them is inaccurate and contradictory.

Fustrated to say the least !!!

John

Re: Why am i not surprised?

petergdownload

In theory you're entitled to forseeable expenses (so in your case $250 back) but in practice its a pretty hard ask I suspect.

No harm asking though. You should write a specific complaint to Optus first 

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

Be sure to include your Full Name, Service or Account Number so they can help resolve your enquiry

They'll need to respond in fairly quick time (days) and you should get a complaint number assigned. Just set out exactly what your are asking for (Presumably to cancel the contract and $250 refund?).

If you're not happy with the reponse you can send the same letter to the TIO:

Lodge a complaint with the TIO:

Call: 1800 062 058 (1800 675 692) from a TTY Teletypewriter handset)
Write to: TIO, PO BOX 276, Collins Street, West Melbourne VIC 8007

The TIO will just ask Optus a what's what (takes 10 days). IMO they may secure a cancelled contract but the $250 is unknown.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Johnt_2017

Thanks Peter.

I am really annoyed tbh, i asked on here about cell congestion before purchasing any equipment and i was told that there was none in my area. What is the point of the forum and the Moderators if they can't provide accurate information.

I am on a month to month contract so i can cancel at any time however I am out of pocket for the equipment which i would not have purchased if the was cell congestion.

I will make a complaint to Optus then to the TIO - i have been down this route previously with Telstra so pretty familiar - I am actually in consultation with our Federa Rep due to ADSL issues. Can't believe i may have to do this again.

Internet in Australia is truely broken and the Telcos/Polies need a big wakeup call  !

Regards

John

petergdownload

Not sure how big a cross reference you could have got from here. Surely you'd be lucky to find one person in your area with your setup? The mods (and Optus Cust Service) try to be helpful but there does seem to be a fair range of ability / authorisation in the mix. 

But as you'd know the service has to be what was represented to you (forum members don't count, but any mod PMs would) and Optus are liable for any foreseable out of pocket expenses (like buying an antenna to recieve the service). Hope it goes smoothly.

FWIW your bandwidth numbers seem okish. If they can bump the peak speeds up over then next few months you might end up with a decent service. 

I agree the broadband lanscape is struggling at the moment. Part of that is Liberals FTTN travesty, part is were only half way through an enourmous transition, part is running two networks at once, part is increasing user demands as 10Mbps just doesn't cut it any more, part is the fee structure of NBNCo that encourages congestion shortcuts and part is the endless blame game shifting between all stakeholders. 

My hope is that the next few years should see a lot of this settle down. Yep its a major headache and there's a fair bit of wasted money being spent on an inferior product but there is light at the end of the fibre Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Johnt_2017

Thanks Peter,

The information around no congestion was DM'd to me from a Moderator hence why I took it as being accurate. I guess how much information they actually have access to is questionable.

Having worked in IT for over 20 years with a lot of that in networking i can't believe they don't have capacity analysis for their network (MRTG type stuff) which they can review at a moments notice ( actually, what am i thinking, of course they do, they probably just don't let the techs look at it). They should be forced to provide this to the public so like most of the early ISPs used to do before they realised that it provided too much power to the consumer.

Thanks

John

petergdownload

Hopefully the ACCC trial of 3000 home to ISP (i.e. NBNCo bit) monitors will provide some insight. If the NBN is actually performing like it is saying it is then it should show some interesting graphs according to Telco and time of day.

I don't think the ACCC is intending to try use the data to force ISPs to lift their game. Its hoping the numbers might prompt them to either review their prices or try improve their offerings. Interestingly Optus has already offered several cheaper internet plans that have the diclaimer "You're data will be prioritised behind users on other plans."

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Johnt_2017

This is a publicity exercise by the ACCC. What gets me is that a company can advertise a service knowing full well that they are not able to provide it, and get away with it.

ISPs need to be held accountable for the services they are offering - if they cannot provide the bandwidth then they should not be able to sell.

I have recently been dealing with local exchange congestion with Telstra and even though they have known about the issue since 2105 they have refused to upgrade the exchange yet still allowing customer to purchase ADSL2+ and high volume data plans.  This is no different to Optus and really shows the extent to which monopolies/duopolies can dictate their own terms.

Without getting too political, i can only assume that there must be significant financial benefits somewhere down the line.

John

petergdownload

In hidsight it may have been better to split telco bills like electricty - supply cost (fixed) and data cost (you pay a sliding scale depending what you can get). Of course if the number got too low you could leave. But at least the Telcos had a real incentive to give you the best they could.

We perhaps have to bear in mind that none of us ever envisages the speeds potentially available over copper. Not too long ago 56k baud modems were lauded as amazingly boosting max ever possible speeds by 50%+ - the nework has been asked way to much of for way too long. And Telstra's decision to slowly stop repairing it properly didn't help.

So yes for ADSL, Telcos do seem to have gotten away with "Up To". Its interesting that with the NBN fixed tiers this no longer seems to hold sway. If you don't get the 25Mbps you ordered then Optus seem ready to exit contracts rather than say "Tough Luck". 

I'm going to wait and see on the ACCC results. The process has apparently got good results overseas and any data is better than the brick wall of nothing we now have.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Aman_B

Really sorry to hear that this has been your experience @Johnt_2017 Smiley Sad Certainly not one we want you to have. If you’d like to chat to us right now, you can chat with our Live Chat team here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Johnt_2017

Hi Aman,

Thanks for the reply however what is the purpose of speaking with Optus. I have already spent several hours talking to Optus techs on this and each time i get a different response and nobody will give me a straight answer. Although I know what the answer it, cell congestion - yet Optus wont admit it.

If you want to talk about compensation, then please DM me as i am not going to go through all this again with a level 1 engineer on a chat session.

Regards

John

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos