Searching...

When will Optus allow VoLTE calls from all compatible phones

Kensayers

At present Optus is only allowing VoLTE calls from a compatible phone purchased from Optus.

This means that those of us with phones not sold by Optus can't access VoLTE with the improved voice quality and better data rates that come with VoLTE.

I have 3 phones on my small business account but prefer to buy my phones outright. I have, for example, a Pixel 2, my wife has a Samsung S7 and my Daughter an iPhone 7. All phones purchased outright.

When will we be able to move these phones to VoLTE? 

Given that VoLTE has now been available for quite a while I would imagine all the teething issues have been resolved, so why not allow all compatible phones to access the service?

Re: When will Optus allow VoLTE calls from all compatible phones

Consik

Just flash optus firmware on your phone. Had a grey import flashed optus firmware now able to use all the optus features. 

[ Edited ]
SamSam

As consik said, you can actually flash Optus firmware to the S7 which will allow it to use VoLTE and VoWiFi. The 2 iPhones should also work without any software changes, do you not have the option available in the settings? Apple don't allow custom firmware from carriers so you shouldn't need to do anything with those other then enable it. 

The only phone you have no options with is the Pixel as this isn't a phone Optus sell at all and I know exactly how you feel. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Dolphy007

Optus does this because they probably want to ensure that you are getting a good quality service, otherwise people would start complaining the VoLTE isn't working properly.

This also prevents people who've bought handsets overseas from usning the service, not all phones are the same. Most phones are manufactured specifically for each region/country. This applies to all grey imported phones.

Googel Pixel phones are Telstra exclusive, I doubt any carrier would invest in testing and certification for a product they don't sell, the return on onvestoment would be minimal.

Kensayers

Pardon my ignorance, but where do I get the Optus firmware from? I have been a bit reticent to go into loading non-standard firmware. As a friend once said 'you don't go down a rabbit hole unless you are sure you can get out' and flashing firmware has always been the case where I was concerned that should anything go wrong I might end up with an expensive paperweight instead of a phone.

Consik

It's a very simple process just follow the instructions step by step.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Make sure to get the firmware for your s7 model and pick the optus firmware under Australia. 

Good luck 

Highlighted

Consik

Settings/about phone/model number

If you didn't already know 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
26 Kudos
24 Kudos
20 Kudos
16 Kudos