Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

VoLTE and Wifi Calling for Google Pixel

I've been an Optus customer previously, and then moved over to Telstra to get the Google Pixel 1. Luckily for me Telstra developed support for the Google Pixel for VoLTE, however it looks like Optus is still lagging behind.

I'm now moving back to Optus because the data deal is better, however I see that Optus still has not enabled VoLTE for any of the Pixel range (including the new one which is available from Optus from 1 November 2018).

Can I please get an official response from Optus on progress for enabling VoLTE on the new Google Pixel 3 devices?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Blog Author

Re: VoLTE and Wifi Calling for Google Pixel

@kuaga, the VoLTE support page isn't a great indication of the current state of VoLTE compatibility.
I'm sure we'll be offering VoLTE to customers on Optus supplied compatible VoLTE handsets.

You can't take advantage of VoLTE on Optus unless you have an Optus supplied handset.
You need the Optus carrier variant of Android to use this feature. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Great thanks for the information.

To clarify, is VoLTE supported on all new Optus supplied phones running Android?

Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @kuaga. The handset is certainly a 4G Plus handset but we'll have to check this with our networks team if  Volte will be available with the pixel. Leave this with me and I'll get back to you with more on this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor
New Contributor

The people in store said the Pixel 3 XL will work on Optus wifi calling. On the sales side of the Optus website, you can filter for wifi calling phones and it listed the Pixel 3 XL aswell.
I preordered and the phone arrived today - guess what!? Wifi calling doesn't work!

Optus phone support keep saying its an issue with Google, I fully well know its not, Optus just needs to support it.

Optus if your going to advertise/display/say it will do wifi calling to get my sale, then you should make sure it works.

I do not get Optus phone reception in my house, I need wifi calling. 

Please fix this issue or I will have to take action to move back to Telstra.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, I just purchased a Pixel 3 xl and been on chat with support. According to them, The Pixel does not support wifi calling at all. This is technically false as it works on other providers. Also i cannot get HD calling to work either. I've done the instructions and i can see the phone is provisioned for HD calling, yet the option is still blocked out due to the service provider. Can someone please enabled this for me so i can use a feature i was told was working when i purchased this phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi All,

I managed to get HD calling working (voLTE) by telling the support personal to disable then renable my voLTE provisioning. This managed to get the phone to use HD calling. I do not have the option to disable/enable on my phone but the phone started to use 4g(lte) during phone call.

Just need wifi calling to work now.

Cheers

0 Kudos