cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

gaspah
New Contributor
New Contributor

VPN ON = FAST ..... VPN OFF = SLOW + DROPOUT ..... WHY?

Optus. Why is my connection far more consistent and on average lightspeed faster when I activate my VPN service?

I first noticed this when I was connecting to my overseas fileserver where it would download files at ~40KB/s whether via sftp ftp http.. upon activating my VPN 4-5MB/s... deactivate 40KB/s...this was the same when I tested on my mother's Optus home wireless something or other.. night day night day. this server speedtests at 1Gbps/1Gbps and I've watched it output similar speed in realworld transfers.

Just now I tried to download a game from Steam it would start hammering away at 2MB/s then quickly taper away to 5-30KB/s.. activate VPN 4MB/s consistent... Similar result downloading a large file from a website.

To say the least, I'm suspicious as to why my direct connections are so dismal but my indirect anonymised connections are reasonably fast and reliable. Am I being throttled or do you just have atrotious access to international bandwidth? But Im pretty sure Steam mirror their servers here, i know they at least used to be part of iinet's mirroring.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: VPN ON = FAST ..... VPN OFF = SLOW + DROPOUT ..... WHY?

Hmm, those are some strange number, I am suspecting has something to do with the way the traffic route via Optus and your VPN. For my a direct connection is much faster than via VPN. 

Can you do a speedtest via speedtest.net for Direct and via VPN? Make sure you are connect to the same server for the test. 

My guess is that Home - > Optus -> server A -> Steam is slower than Home -> Optus -> VPN server -> Steam is faster and the connection speed is not limited at the Home-> Optus path. It is the path between Optus and Steam is where the bottle neck is. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
gaspah
New Contributor
New Contributor

VPN OFF:

20.5Mbps UP / 1.26Mbps DOWN / 15ms

VPN ON:

64.4Mbps UP / 9.68Mbps DOWN / 19ms

See this bugs me even more. This has to be down to packet identifying. This is Optus' ideal server.... 😕

0 Kudos
gaspah
New Contributor
New Contributor

oops.. i mixed up UP and DOWN on that last post

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@gaspah lol ...

that is indeed very strange speeds. I am not sure if Optus will look into VPN for you. However, I would contact technical support via Chat and see why your speed is at 16Mbps as a normal service. I don't know enough on the backend, maybe get them to reset your account or something. Back in the days of ADSL, rebuilding the port usually resets the configurations and fixes alot of the issues. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
gaspah
New Contributor
New Contributor

I retested this today at my mothers house. basically the same result for both speedtest and http transfers.

I should maybe mention this is 4G so theres no port to rebuild (same with my mothers home internet). I use 4G because ADSL syncs at 4Mbps/1Mbps where I live.

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

oh, didn't relise you are on the 4G network. Are you using Optus or the VPN's DNS in the modem setting? 

We are not using the same hardware or service provide, however, I will do a test with my 4G modems tomorrow to see normal vs VPN on my system.

Top Contributors