cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Update on your Optus nbn contract - any one else thinking of leaving

Hi all,

Been an Optus customer for over 15 years on the HFC network and since getting the NBN the service and help desk support has deteriated to the point I am ready to leave.

Firstly there was the changeover to Optus NBN which was handled so badly that Optus forgot to book their technician to come out and install the hardware.  Optus also sent out a letter stating that the HFC service was being terminated about 14 months earlier that the nbn legislation suggested it would be and this was before I had even had the nbn installed.  I was having second thoughts about the change to NBN when this letter arrived.

Then there were issues with that absolutely awful WiFi Router and it absolutely terrible WiFi range that forced me to buy a separate WiFi Router to handle the WiFi within the house - so now have 2 pieces of hardware doing the job of 1.  Why 2 ?  I had to keep the second, yep second as the first was replaced as faulty, Sagemcrap if I wanted the VOIP phone to work.

I was trying to get a web chat up and running to sort this out but all busy and have been waiting for hours to connect.

So here I am now have a winge and hoping a moderator will pity me and maybe escalate this to someone who can help.  Over the past few weeks, OK around the 18th of January 2018, the service has been getting worse, with little or no internet connectivity on the 19th of January for most of the day.  This has been happening regularly at randon times for the past few weeks.  Also if the slow nbn speeds were not bad enough the phone would be unavailable for hours or days on end and you could only tell if you picked up the phone and there was no dial tone.  Conversly if anyone called us they would get an engaged signal again we would not be aware that the service was out - as the internet would still be available and a reboot of the Sagemcom would temporarily fix the problem.  

Totally sick of the lies Optus tell us as customers.  So what do I want?

I want a letter for Optus telling me my rights, reponsibilities and any cost for terminating the contract.  I also want to know what their rights and responsibilities are in this regard too as their letter stated that they would facilitate the transfer as no cost to me.  And what happens with the Sagemcrap WiFi Router and the Fetch TV, which is currently a bit useless, given the speeds we are getting at present.

I am more than willing to go back to the TIO to get this sorted as they at least have some power over Optus unlike their customers. 

Finally does anyone know of a decent nbn RSP in the Fairfield NSW area.

22 Replies
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Re: Update on your Optus nbn contract - any one else thinking of leaving

Hi Albus, I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't been a smooth transition over to the NBN for you. If you'd like to send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number we can take a look into your concerns.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Albus,

Unfortunately your experience does not seem as unusual as it should be. Optus have taken a pretty aggressive approach to the NBN transition. Anecdotedly the service centres have deteriorated in accessability. Service resolving issues with the NBN is very disjointed and getting a continuity of resolution is almost impossible. And that's before you get to the potential peak hour congestion issues that have hit the main ISPs to date (esp. those offering unlimited plans). IMO almost all of this appears down to deliberate business decisions by upper Optus management and I think this revenue at the expense of staff and customer strategy is starting to bite.

That said, I think you've hit your best bet posting here as the mods do seem better able to resolve issues. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As an adendum, its not Optus place to tell you your rights. If the service remains substandard and you can't get it resolved I would just request the contract be terminated. Keep a note of issues as they arrise so you can list them.

The TIO can't make OPtus provide you the contracted service, but they can ensure you don't have to keep paying for it. They would want a official complaint by you to OPtus before proceeding, which IMO is best done written down in a letter to the complaints PO Box. 

But hopefully that won't be needed.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownload I just want to make sure that Optus know that I have rights.  If they make any decisions I want them in writing as I have had to deal with their marketing truths since March last year and I am pretty sick of it.  Even tonight I was getting sub 4 mbs download and sub 2 upload which on a 50/20 plan is not good.

I have at least 3 cms of paper records so far of my dealings with Optus which is just tracking the issues up until the first TIO intervention last year.  I will be asking for a complaint number once I am contacted as I am confident that, based on past performance, this will not be corrected without intervention from the TIO and the ACCC.

I have actually been out of the country just over 7 weeks returning to Australia in mid January and seeing the situation get much worse in comparison to when we left.  The nbn was not even on during that period so the weather cannot be to blame for the poor performance after my return.

Thanks for your input it is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I suspect it won't be too hard to resolve.

• If you wanted compensation then records and the TIO may be needed - hard but doable. 
  • If you required Optus to provide the 50/20 speed as contracted then that's another story - Not doable IMO. 
  • If the peak hour speeds are consistently well below 30Mbps in peak then a request to exit the contract should be all that is necessary. Optus can't fix this issue for you individually and in the past has found it easier to drop 'problem customers'. 

Note that the 50/20 band has undergone significant upheaval while you have been away. NBNCo has started selling a special 50/20 pack that includes a guaranteed data throughput (which is what many ISPs have been skimping on) You should check if you are on this data tier now (you should be but not sure how to tell). Optus are offering it as a free upgrade from 25/5 for 6 months.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownloadThank for the information.  I appreciate you taking the time in replying.

By the way I was "given" a free upgrade to the 50/20 tier, from 25/5, when I was changed over but have never really seen the 50 mbs downstream side but usually got around 18 mbs no matter how bad the downstream figures were.  In recent times even the upload was really bad in most cases half of the 4 mbs download figure.

Regards

Allan R

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No probs @Albus,

If the speeds are constently low through the day then it would point more to a tech issue (modem, cable, NBN, etc.) and there would be a chance a tech could diagnose (and fix) the issue.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownload  Unfortuantely the speeds are all over the place.  Currently the speed is 36 mbs down and 15 mbs up though not sustained at those levels.  The upload speed only hit 15 in the last few seconds of the test and the download speed jumped to 20 and slowly built from there as the speed test only reports the maximums where it really should average it out over the test to give a better realtime outcome.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Hannah-Llooks like the 48, OK nearly 50 from your PM, hours has elapsed and no contact at all on my mobile from a Case Manager so far this evening.  Not sure what to make of this but if you could provide a complaint number that would be helpful as i may as well go straight to the TIO about this matter.  Apparently Optus can now guarantee the 50 /20 speeds, something I must have missed with the communications from Optus (OK all RSP's) , from the end of last year according to an article in the Daily Telegraph today, https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/nbn-co-forecasting-greater-uptake-of-highspeed-plans/ne..., so I wonder why my speeds today were abysmal hovering for the most of the day beteween 4 mbs / 6 mbps, down and up, to 35 / 15 but mostly at the lower end with Facebook continually not loading properly.  These speeds were measured from 6:30 am until 8:00 pm using OOKLA speed test and appear to be typical for this year.  Even on average i am not even getting the lower tier service given the spottiness of the service.  I know it is not your fault Hannah but i am paying $100 a month for a service that is third world.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors