Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unable to send email

warrawillah Glad to hear its working 😀

Bosto I got my response mixed up as there are 2 people on this thread however I left the VPN comment in just in case. The routing through Singapore does seem odd to me and I do vaguely recall someone else complaining about that recently.  Does webmail work on your domain as a matter of interest?

0 Kudos
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @Yeldarb 

Apologies if I've corrupted this thread, but I suspect it may be a related issue.

Webmail is working but uploading files (attachments) has been very slow at times, and often fails.

I did a test at a local cafe with my laptop where they have Telstra wifi. First I connected to my hot spot (wifi) through my phone on Optus network. Speeds very good as tower within 200m. Went onto webmail and it took 6 minutes to upload a 2MB attachment. Switched wifi to Telstra and repeated and it took about 5 seconds.

We're experiencing the same problem with all Optus connections - FTTC NBN and on their data network. Where I am now (FTTC), if I do a speedtest I get 15ms  ping, 55Mbps DL, 38Mbps UL https://www.speedtest.net/result/8988665725

Yesterday I tried to upload a 500MB video to Youtube at our FTTC connection. It struggled for more than 5 hours, with the progress bar going to about 20% relatively quickly, then stalling, then going up, then back to maybe 17%. It's like it had an intermittent connection (is this called packet loss?). This morning I tried again and it eventually succeeded after 2.5 hours. Upload percentage bar again going up then down, then eventually to 100%.

So with our USA based webmail and Youtube having problems uploading (primarily), but only on all Optus connections, I suspect it's a problem with the Optus network, not our network or settings.

The other interesting thing is that we had an issue in March 2019 with our NBN FTTC connection. It went on for many weeks with Optus blaming the NBN and vice versa. Eventually it was reported as an Optus "software" issue with our account.  After the TIO became involved, we were compensated $450 by Optus.  We developed a bit of a workaround whereby if we needed to make a phone call (NBN) or upload a file, we would "hammer" the connection with running, say multiple YouTube videos.  This seemed to "keep the connection up" allowing the more important files to go through.

I've reported our current issue again to Optus, with the history from last year, but the response has been poor so far from the techos, with only my Optus retailer seeming to show empathy. 

I would like to know what other tests I could do to assess our current connection.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm it's been a while since I have looked at routing however both Optus and Telstra appear to be routing via Hong Kong and Singapore before heading to the US on my connections. I do recall Sydney to Hawaii was the path the last time I looked. What response times are you getting when hitting the US leg using your Optus NBN? 200 ms to 250 ms is typical for me.

0 Kudos
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @Yeldarb .

Using tracert the last hop result this morning was: 20    235 ms     *      290 ms    pop.dreamhost.com [64.90.**private info**.162]

So I assume between 235 and 290ms RTT/latency which I assume is OK.

I did some further tests this morning on both my Outlook and webmail. I attached a 6MB file. It took about 5min to upload to webmail, and 3min56sec to 'send' from Outlook.  These seem too slow given our connection speeds.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the delayed response Bosto as we have had a heat wave, storms and 2 days without power. The response time seems normal however the upload does seem slow. If you consider you can download 6 MB in a matter of seconds it does seem bizarre that it takes 5 minutes or so to send from Outlook. Keep in mind that email was never designed for large attachment and in many circumstances this issue does not improve with more available bandwidth as it's simply the way mail is handled. You also have to consider the impact shared hosting has on the mail server if you don't have your own resources.

I do send large attachments myself from time to time and this can often take several minutes or more even when I have my own server. I would be more concerned about errors than the amount of time it takes to send. Does this sending problem you have only happen when sending mail with attachments?

0 Kudos
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @Yeldarb

Three problems sending from any of our Optus connections:

1. Any email of any size above 100kB in Outlook. 

2. Uploading any attachment to webmail

3. Uploading any file, to say Youtube

For all the three items above, there is a considerable delay - >10 hours sometimes - if the upload progresses at all.

Interestingly, yesterday morning around 10am I attempted to send an email with 4MB attachments. At 10.32pm last night I got a message from "System Administrator" stating:

Server error: '421 4.4.2 pdx1-sub0-mail-a87.g.dreamhost.com Error: timeout exceeded'

I don't know what this error message means.  But the email was not sent.

However, I've just come to a cafe which has Telstra wifi as I couldn't send the email from any of my Optus connections.  I re-sent the email with the 4MB attachment. I time it.... it took only 12.4 seconds to send.

At the cafe with Telstra wifi, the speed tests are good but about half what I'm getting (according to speedtest.net) for my Optus connection.

I have reported to Optus technical. They provided a Fault Reference but then unknown to me cancelled it with notes indicating the "speed" issue had been resolved!  No idea why they made such a decision.  One would have thought they might have asked me first!

So I now have a new Fault Reference.

I'm not at all impressed with Optus' technical.  Their default position seems to be any fault is the customer's technical incompetence. Maybe I need to go back to the TIO.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well if its anything like Telstra they don't give a toss about private mail. I understand that once outside the Optus network there are limitations on what they can do however the tests you have run clearly show a problem when using the Optus network. I think I would persist with your new Fault Reference and hopefully this will be passed on to the correct department.

0 Kudos
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Success at last!

Thank you @Yeldarb  and @warrawillah 

After problems sending emails for almost 2 months using our Dreamhost email client through Optus, Optus technical have informed me that they “reset the system”.  I don't know any more details at this stage but emails from all our Optus accounts are working very well.

Interestingly, emails sent from my phone since we first moved to Optus in Feb 2017 have been slow and clunky. I assumed this was something to do with the email app on the mobile phone.  But it appears that I was wrong because now emails are sent very quickly from ALL our Optus connections - NBN FTTC and mobile data.

I've requested more info from Optus technical because I believe they have done a major change somewhere in their routing between Australia and the USA.  For example, I just uploaded a 225MB file to Youtube which took only 27 seconds, not hours and hours, if at all, which has been the case.

Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This interesting...
Optus Faults are flip-flopping on their story...
First they told me they "reset the system". Then they said they didn't.
Then they told me it was "an unplanned NBN outage". (How this could have anything to do with our mobile issues is beyond me.) Now they're saying it wasn't an NBN issue.
Then I received an SMS with reference to the TIO. But I haven't contacted the TIO ( yet!).
Now Optus is saying they didn't do anything, and "it just fixed itself."
What's further interesting is that ALL our mobile phones now upload emails almost as fast as our (seperate) NBN connection which means we've had this issue with all our mobiles since Feb 2017; that's 3 years!
I would normally just be content with it being fixed, but in the past 14 months we've had two major problems lasting 2 months each and both times Optus faults have flip-flopped.
Perhaps the TIO should be the starting point for any future faults!
0 Kudos