Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
warrawillah
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unable to send email

I am unable to send email. There is no error message  but the mail goes straight to the outbox where it causes problems when I try to shutdown. I have no problem receiving  email.

I am working on a Windows 10 PC and have recently connected to a VPN with AVG. Could this be the problem?

I have deleted all my Webmail messages.

I can send messages on my Telstra mobile with no problem.

Thank you,

Warrawillah

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to send email

Having same problem.
Problem only with Optus.... 5 mobiles and 1 FTTC connection. Go onto Telstra and no issue.
Our email client in USA.
Problem getting worse over past week until today can send no emails at all, only receive.
Yesterday Optus put me thru to 3rd party and wouldn't continue unless I have credit card details and $90.
Trace routes indicate delay and packet loss through Singapore.
Why go through Singapore to USA?
Come on Optus! Get real. I cancelled all my accounts with Telstra because of this type of lack of ownership of problem.
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you a trying to send Optus mail via a VPN it may not work. Turning your VPN off will answer that question.

Bosto There could be a dozen different reasons why your own private mail will send via Telstra and not Optus. What outgoing mail server are you using and what port?

Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Yeldarb.
I haven't intentionally set up any VPN. I'm not that savvy.
Outgoing server smtp.dreamhost.com
Port 465
Thank you for any assistance.
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ok if this is your own private or business email then the problem might not be with Optus. The VPN can also complicate matters as the routing could be coming from anywhere. I would try turning the VPN off first and see if that fixes the problem. You may be able to simply change your outgoing mail to mail.optusnet.com.au without authentication if you cant get smtp.dreamhost.com to work. They do mention this in their email setup files.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214918038-Email-client-configuration-overview 

Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you again.
Unfortunately, I couldn't understand where in the Dreamhost link it mentions your suggestion.
However, in the Outgoing settings I swapped smtp.dreamhost.com to mail.optusnet.com.au and Outlook bugged out.
What I fundamentally don't understand is that this issue is affecting all mobiles and out NBN FTTC connection; multiple email accounts which have worked without major issue with Optus for at least 2 years. However, if I visit a Telstra WiFi point, there is no issue.
Thank you again
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

At the bottom of step 3 it says some providers require you to use their mail servers. Using a POP account, outgoing server mail.optusnet.com.au port 25 no authentication is what I use to send my own private email. It's important that you don't have authentication ticket with using the same settings as your incoming server as it will not work. I can't tell you why it once worked and it now it doesn't. All I can tell you is the settings I use with my own private email that work with Optus.

warrawillah
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Yeldarb. I have recently installed a VPN so will turn it off and see what happens.
warrawillah
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes! Turning off VPN seems to have worked so far. Thank you for all of your help.
Bosto
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Than you for suggestions. I don't have a VPN. I also discovered yesterday that issue not limited to email. I tried uploading a video to YouTube and it kept hanging at about 20%, in the same way when trying to upload a file to webmail.
I've done a traceroute to our USA email client, then individual pings to each IP along the way (is this logical?).
All seem to be generally OK except for IP 203.208.152.150 which is Singtel in Singapore according to https://www.iplocation.net/
Is this to be expected?
Thank you again for suggestions.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors