cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Olyve
New Contributor
New Contributor

Stopping your child from accessing the internet after optus has blocked mobile data when signing up

I know you cant stop a child doing their thing, but, when signing up on a plan for my child, knowing calls and sms are free, they blocked mobile data but he can still turn it on. 

There was only one lady who helped me with the phone he had, she put code numbers into the phone under some settings but now he has my old one, and noone else can help.  Does anyone know the steps so I can put into his future phones? He has raked up 6gig of data on my bill! 

Not only that, but those texting scammers, those Premium sms's, those ones have texted him giving me a $73 hit. To pay! I will literally block those too in a minute but does anyone know about those codes that you can put into the phone to rid of mobile data fully?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stopping your child from accessing the internet after optus has blocked mobile data when signing

I don't know what the codes are that you are talking about however I was of the understanding that you could have data turned off permanently anytime you wish. Have you asked support specifically to turn the data off? you can try the live chat support below if you haven't already asked.

The premium sms services can also be turned off by reducing your spend to zero. The second link below has information on how to do that however if you are going to speak with support about the other issue then you might as well ask them to turn that off as well.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/content-services-faqs-spend-control?requestType=NormalRe...

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Stopping your child from accessing the internet after optus has blocked mobile data when signing

@Yeldarb has some good tips to avoid Premium SMS charges. 

If you don't want your child using mobile data then tell them not to. If they use mobile data then take the phone away for a month. Then return it and tell them not to use mobile data. If they use mobile data take the phone away from them for 3 months. And so on. Kids will be kids, but parent can be parents.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Stopping your child from accessing the internet after optus has blocked mobile data when sign...

Hey Olyve - if you're finding that one of the people who use the mobiles on your account are accessing data when they're not supposed to, we can block it. Can you please shoot me a private message here. We can also block all premium content. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Olyve
New Contributor
New Contributor

well thanks, but i give him a phone for a purpose.... to know where he is everyday and an emergency if he needs to call me to get home from school etc.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Olyve

I realise it sounds patronising (wasn't meant to though). I've got two boys about to enter that wonderful world of teenagehood so I will get mine no doubt Smiley Happy

In your situation I would guenuinely be applying strict lines on the usage - you don't inadvertantly donwload 6Gb of data. Its easy to see if data has been manually turned on and used each day. If it has then some form of punishment (No TV for a week?) comes due. 

It looks like the mods can do what you need though, so that's good (bearing in mind it will disable mobile data, but free wifi spots will still be easily acessible). You may want to consider a purpose built option like this.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos