Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Henry2018
New Contributor
New Contributor

Speed on my Mobile Data SIM

Hi

I bought the 200 gb mobile data SIM last Friday with the aim of replacing my existing ADSL connection with the faster 4G+ mobile connection (no NBN in my area). When I bought the service in store I was told that the speed would be equal to what I am experience from my mobile as it is on the same network (optus mobile customer too). I bought the Huawei E3372 mobile with the SIM. 

When I got home I was surprised that the speed I am getting from the modem  was significantly slower than my phone. So instead of say 50 - 80 mbps which is what I get on my phone I would get 20 mbps if I'm lucky but more often it would be 4 - 5 mbps. 

All I want to know is why, what can I do to improve the speed and if its due to the modem should I invest in a CAT6 modem ? 

I've spent an hour on hold with optus and spoken to about a dozen optus tech assist. No one is giving me a straight answer! I've tried a SIM replacement, modem replacement, usual line that there are upgrades in my area and strange lines that "the speed is acceptable as it is faster than 512 kb/s which is what optus considers to be slow".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speed on my Mobile Data SIM

Is the phone with Optus and are they both getting similar reception? I did read somewhere the E3372 is capable of up to 150 Mbps I think so I'm not sure there is any advantage in investing in a faster modem.

0 Kudos
Henry2018
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes the phone (Samsung S7 edge) is with Optus as well. 

Both have similar reception. I've tested both out by putting them on the table and running a speed test side by side. the difference in speed is steggaring. 

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I did notice a difference with my Telstra phone over my Optus phone however I didn't notice any difference in speed between my E3372 on Optus and my Optus mobile. To be perfectly honest it was probably something I wasn't looking for. I have a new Cat 6 modem floating about somewhere so I might have to try a comparison.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm surprising results with the CAT6 clearly showing a difference with the speeds. I also did a Telstra test just for good measure.

CAT4 Optus

optus-cat4-speed-test.jpg

CAT6 Optus

optus-cat6-speed-test.jpg

CAT6 Telstra

telstra-cat6-speed-test.jpg

Aman_B

HI @Henry2018 - The speeds can vary as the two devices have different capabilities. Although, both use same network but Huawei E3372 is a 4G device only and Samsung S7  is a 4G Plus and can use multiple frequencies (LTE 700 / 1800 / 2100 / 2300 / 2600 MHz). I'd also recommend checking your coverage and speeds at different places and different times  to see if the speeds are any better. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Henry2018
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Aman

What you said make sense but just frustrates me more as the E3372 modem is marked as a 4G plus modem on the Optus website, the store and by your technical staff/sales staff.

I beleive the samsug S7 edge is a CAT 9 device so that would expain the difference in the speed between the two (E3372 being a CAT4). I just wish Optus was upfront with me and told me at the start. I would have bought the CAT6 modem you are selling and be happy with it.

Speeds are better in the morning and I totally accept that. 

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Hi @Henry2018  - Did you buy this as a prepaid or  on a plan?  Could you please PM us Here  your address so that we can check the signal strength. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors