Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Slow speeds / no speeds 5072

Anyone in the general 5072 postcode area having trouble with 4G data atm?  Checking the Mobile Network Coverage page a few days ago, under Outages, I was pleased to see that my nearest tower - corner of Magill & Glynburn Rds, St Morris, SA was coloured orange as it was due to be upgraded for better 4G. Due to be completed by the very end of February.

Sure enough, come early March and it had reverted to green, so therefore ready to go! Except - my coverage is now much worse. Around 5Mbps download on a good day, not even 1 Mbps upload, consistently over days.   I've always been in a blackspot but this is worse than before.

There's other towers in the general area still being upgraded - perhaps whoever it is can fix what's happening at this tower while they're around?? The 4G quality has plummeted, not improved.

Using speed test a little earlier, it shoots up to 15 or 20Mbps for a second, then goes back quickly to nearly 0 and then loses connection!   Like it’s being throttled.  This is WITH an antenna!

At points, I've lost connection altogether up & down. This is on the data-only SIM for the laptop, the phone one has been worse than before too, but useable. On a whim, I tried rebooting the modem (Huawei E5573). That brought it back to the previous, new lower levels, which is better than nothing! All the time, the modem has a green light that it's working and I've changed nothing on this end. Tried rebooting the Macbook too, just in case.

Optus suggested I use their live chat but that's dodgy for me atm too. Sigh.  I use an Optus MVNO and have let them know about it instead for now.

Is it just me?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow speeds / no speeds 5072

The 5573 is the ultimate el-cheapo modem. Also don't assume that an antenna will actually fix problems. I have had problems getting my neighbour working in a black spot. At one point I got 3G working for him with a yagi pointing upwards on the tin roof. This worked for a few years until a storm wiped out the 3G. When the 3G was fixed, the Huawei modems gave bogus strength readings and we could not find the old antenna spot that worked.  A 790S sort of worked on the antenna, but they have the world's worst charging port. All his guests were using an MF920V and sticking it on the back patio. God knows how that worked. I think uploads were terrible. I eventually found a spot down the side of his kitchen window, where an MF910 (at RSRP -108 -> -120) could just dangle from the USB cord. This gets downloads 18mbs and fairly poor uploads.

Hotspots give you some new possibilites up trees or on the roof. Unfortunately reception can change if the antenna on the tower is knocked a bit. You then get the signal bouncing off different trees. Even though the E5573 is fairly rubbishy at reception, it has really over-powered wifi range. ZTE is also fairly good range. Netgear is pretty short.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts, from experience!  So I wonder if something like the ZTE MF920V might be a better choice here under these circumstances? http://www.ztemobiles.com.au/MF920V.htm  Anything that might boost it to some degree would be welcome, and I don't need the wi-fi range to be huge.

The main issue today is the uploads at home with the 4G data - just now, it was still 0.4 Mbps, which ain't good.  The irony of course being this all happened after work on the tower to make it all better...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The cheap one band modems can get stuck on a congested band in city areas. If you look in the device information section, you might see it's on band 28, which can be congested. Check also RSRP needs to be around -100 or better, not -120.

If you have good reception, the way forward is a more expensive aggregating modem.

5573.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Interestingly enough, mine doesn't give the LTE band info...

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 4.21.48 PM.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

My E5573 does. Check version number. Check update section of modem

Software version:21.200.11.02.74
Web UI version:17.100.11.05.74
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sometime after about 12.30 am local time, the speeds for up and down both started reaching around 10 / 11 Mbps, which is about what can be expected in this particular blackhole.  Someone from Optus took notice here?  🙂  I'll see if the speeds persist.

Thanks for the suggestions here! (I did try updating the modem software but it said it was up to date, but it might be OK now anyway.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hang on, the LTE band info has (re)appeared.  I suspect the fact it wasn't there before may be pertinent, though I have no idea how!

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 1.16.49 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I should have picked what was going on, but it wasn't obvious to those asleep. RSCP is 3G. -105 is really really bad 3G.

The E5573 is stupid and can't be locked onto 4G. It's practically the only modem that you can't set to 4G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

Because you said it was good but now its bad, you might want to try contacting Optus to check your APN settings. In English, it's how it communicates between your device and their network.

Looking at your cell info, you are using Band 28 which is 700Mhz (designed to travel far but less total bandwidth). Looking at your cell tower details, you are below average for quality distance and strength, but the noise levels SINR at -3db is killing you.  it basically says there is too much noise in your area (network noise, not dogs barking 🙂 ).  Maybe double check if that reduces outside without an antenna as a personal booster or bad antenna can make it seem flooded with noise and go nowhere fast.

I switched from 3G regional to 4G regional (same Band 28 700mhz channel) and it was woeful. I went from 3G 8mb/s to 4G 3mb/s. Knowing it was a kind of 'throttling' by the general download tests via speedtest.net and google I spoke with Optus and asked what APN I should be using for my area.

Sure enough the out of the box one was different to the one they suggested.  I suspect yours may need changing since their recent upgrades.  Now I am seeing what I should get; 26-36Mb/s down, 7-8Mb/s up (Sunday 10:30PM).

To put it into perspective, my tower details are below and I am 8kms as the crow flies, no line of sight to the tower with a weak Band 28, 700Mhz frequency :).

PCI:58
CELL_ID:19392xxx
RSRQ:-10.0dB
RSRP:-87dBm
RSSI:-59dBm
SINR:8dB
Upload bandwidth:10MHz
Download bandwidth:10MHz
band:28
CA Mode:deactivated

Good luck

Regards, The I.T. Geek of 21 years