Searching...
Highlighted

Slow mobile internet on Sydney train

[ Edited ]
June1

Hi,

I read that Optus is committed to improve network and coverage service and switched over to Optics after 1 year with Telstra.  I notice that my train trip from Town Hall past Strathfield, my mobile data is literally unusable.  This is comparing same trip daily with Telstra.  Quite disappointing, not sure if there are any plans to improve the service on this route ? 

Re: Slow mobile internet

[ Edited ]
Ray_YC

Hi there, 

I travel this route quite regularly myself (although what direction from Strathfield?) and as recently as on the weekend and had no issues whatsoever and for the amount of people who catch the train that is a very rare issue raised here.

What phone do you have? What troubleshooting have you tried? Did you try resetting your network settings or switching from 4G to 3G?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

wsergent

This has been a problem for years on Optus services. Heading West from Central, the 4G network will drop to 3G, and before hitting Strathfield, it will be H+ or non existent, and completely unusable.

It stays intermittent until well past Parramatta.

Interestingly, I don't seem to have this issue on my commute TO work (Eastbound), between 6:30 and 7:30 am. It is only really a problem on the way home, between 4pm and 5pm (Westbound).

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8, and have tried turning off Mobile Data and turning it back on, restarting the phone, etc etc - with very little success. I had the same issue on previous models of the Galaxy as well, and have had these issues for years.

Using Optus mobile data on the trains is very frustrating.

Ray_YC

What time is your commute from work? During peak period?

I'm travelling this route myself tonight although well after peak so I'll see how it goes with my old Galaxy. It's never been unusable for me. And I plan on streaming a sports event so that will be a good test.

I'm in the process of updaing to a S10 so I'll see if there is a difference on a future trip.

Have you tried replacing your SIM?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Ray_YC

Just reporting back that I only received the "spinning circle of death" for a few seconds at Redfern, Lidcombe and Toongabbie stations.

Aside from that I was able to stream Kayo Sports perfectly fine.

So it sounds like it's likely a congestion issue, using it on a packed fast moving train during peak hour.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos