Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor brokey
Occasional Contributor

Slow broadband speed Glen Waverely, Victoria

Gidday

I am getting very slow speeds on my mobile phone...I have to tether my phone (Xiaomi MI 8 Lite) to my laptop as I don't have a landline (very long story) in my unit and the Internet speeds are dire...

I have just tested the speed on my way home in the bus and on the way the speed was 39.4Mbps, after getting off at about 1klm from home, 34.1Mbps, about 100meters from home 5.26Mbps and then inside my unit, 2.31Mbps.

I checked the coverage map and it says that I should have good voice and text and great email and Internet...well, all others are fine, its just the Internet...

Would love to have some sort of input from Optus as to what the problem is...

cheers

col

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slow broadband speed Glen Waverely, Victoria

Hmm sounds like you are getting out of range of the tower if it incrementally goes down like that. From memory there is some fairly big dips in the terrain to the North, North East and the coverage map is only a guide. I assume you have tried moving the phone around in your house to get the best reception? I once had to leave my phone outside when tethering only because I had no reception inside.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply...My reply would have been sooner but I kept getting "This site can’t be reached" when loading the yescrowd site...

I have tried looking for better reception around the unit but I can't find any spot that is faster than when it is USB tethered...and outside isn't any good as I don't have any private areas to use so my phone would probably go walkabout...

cheers

col

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It has been my experience that cabled tethering is slower than wireless tethering as the location of the phone is restricted by the cable length and is often shielded by the laptop itself. Getting an extra bar often makes a big difference with mobile data and if you are in a brick unit with other units side by side the signal is probably having a hard time getting through.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Will give wireless a go tomorrow when I connect again (on the mobile now)...

The unit on the side of mine is about 3 metres away from mine so there isn't any problem there... There isn't anything on the other side, and that is the side where I sit with the laptop...

cheers

col

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's worth a shot as it worked for me when I had poor reception in the house. At one stage I had my iPhone taped to my outside veranda not that I would recommend you do that. Smiley Happy It might also pay to look at the coverage map and see where your local tower is located.

https://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status

Edit: My thoughts on the rf in that area. If you don't live near that location you can ignore my graphics. Smiley LOL

rf-hole.jpg

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have located a spot where the speed is a lot better and have tried to connect to the phone via wifi but it's a slow connection so will try and locate other spots...

Thanks for providing the map but I am not anywhere near that location...

cheers

col

Occasional Contributor

Well, the crap speed is still persisting...whilst sitting in the doctors waiting room I thought I would see what speed I would get there and guess what, the speed was off the dial, 131Mgps down and 16.3 up...then back home and it's back to a crawl...Is there anything that can be done to get the speed to something that is remotely acceptable? As I said in my initial post, I don't have access to a landline and this is my only access and I am currently attempting to do Uni via the Internet...that includes a once per week online Skype session with the class and tutor and the result isn't that great...

cheers

col

0 Kudos