cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor UnnaturalSecret
Occasional Contributor

Slow Network

First thing first, the username here cannot be changed can it? Was supposed to be unnatural secretions ( such as unstable industrial effluents or just plain old fashioned Nuclear waste lol) 

Any way, moving along 

Today I purchased a $70/140GB/12month 4G SIM to propagate the Optus 4G public network to work from home.

I'm unable to achieve greater than13mbps, and am averaging 6mbps. I've struggled all night to distribute custom kernels to 11 of our RedHat servers globally. I've struggle to authenticate and access Amazon cloud services, even Optus. Even unable run the javascript and render HTML..

Your coverage for Findon is stating “great”

I'm getting 40mbps on Telstra SIM, 28mbps On Jeenee and 28mbps on an OVO. All connected to the saame ALFA Tube 4UG + XPOL 2X2 MIMO 16 dBi Antenna + 4uG / 18dbi Yagi in a raspberry honey-pot plus a Comset CM820V Industrial 4-Port 3G+4G+4GX WiFi Modem Router currently connected to the one-and-only CentOS 7 laptop with an Alfa adaptor.

I'm not sure whether the Optus network is entirely saturated due to Netflix and Stan but I cannot continue working, when my Jeenee 90GB and OVO 100GB 3G is 5x consistently faster.

PS Sorry my initial first contact is not on great terms,

24 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Slow Network

I found the Optus network very over congested until about 1am last night.

What speeds are you getting this morning?

Also what upload speeds are you getting? I've read they should remain high even if the download speeds drop.

Its hard to be certain, but are we sure the plan isn't counted as Home Wireless Broadband? Optus limit these "4G" plans to 12Mbps. I don't think yours is one of those though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Pete, 

I ensured the 140GB plan wasn't 12mbps via web chat, phone sales and the CSO at Gouger St. If they lied to me there will be ombudsman action.

I would definitely have to say Uploads where not tested. The whole night was one massive painfull attempt to work and test site survey equipment. 

Like I said, the net was so slow Amazon couldn't even render, I was getting inconsistent speeds untill I replaced the Optus SIM with Keener, Ovo, which ironically use Optus. Telstra 4G was impressive!

This morning I'm getting 11mbps to 12mbps. If this is the case and these are within Optus speeds contract. I'll be definitely contacting the Ombudsman as I made it so clear, my intentions and was promised 20-50mbps

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hopefully the ombudsman won't be needed. Optus would likely cancel the contract if speeds remain so low on a full 4g network.

I assume you've tested local speed tests not just international like Amazon?

Unfortunately I can't offer much more. It does seem like sobering that needs Optus tech support.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I honestly hope so too, I’m absolutely astounded by the unfortunate speeds, and am starting to think it may be throttled at 12mbps or there about.

I’m trying to think this through algorithmically, I injected the 4G SIM into my trusty OnePlus1 phone, drove to two locations where Optus mount their 4G infrastructure and yet, I’m receiving 14mbps tops!

Which bring me to believe and in conjunction to Optus throttling Netflix to 1.5mbps (if I read correct) their network is completely saturated, hence you getting some decent speeds after 1am… Now that’s just a theoretical theory, there’s no actual evidence to support such a claim.

Just to answer one of your questions I have an RHEL server in Franklin St on the Vocus network I reverse SSH into which I’ve never reviewed the bandwidth as it’s never an issue until I connected the Optus.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So the plot thickens.

Spoke with Tech support yesterday, I think they had a conniption once I informed them of my equipment etc..

They have advised that the service hasn’t been properly, or awaiting provision… ETA 3-5 business days…

To me it seems like a half assed response to get me to go away!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Some Optus Customer Service has been known to promise a fix (and a follow up) is just around the corner before disappearing.

It does sound like a solution is in the offing.

Check back in next week I suppose.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I hope so, however it does seem a bit of a palm off to me.

Because any other major reseller or provider such as: One solution, Jeenee, TPG, Amaysim can provision a data sim in minutes or hours. Not days.

Palmed it off to my wife and daughter last night as I needed a reliable fast connection. All night they complained their videos would buffer consistently, and the net would drop off the face of the earth..

Anyway your name sounds familiar, worked at Dimension Data in the past? Brother in architect?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Different Gillespie I think.

Hope it comes good over the weekend.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I definitely wish to have the contract broken, torn up and thrown in the shredder. I received confirmation the account is finally provisioned. Yet, I'm now averaging 0.2mbps – 1.56mbps. Now, insert the Telstra 4G or Jeenee into the ass end of the same infrastructure I average 33mbps to 46mbps. Just to reach this forum and reply on Optus took roughly 10 minutes! During which, I received 6 drop outs! Logging into Protonmail, Googling… this is by far worse than the ADSL connection I had in 2002! What a waste of time, effort and money.
0 Kudos