Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sim not provisioned - ported number from Telstra

I have just bought a new phone and ported the number from Telstra. 

My Telstra service was disconnected on 12/6/18 and I am still waiting. After contacting Optus via live chat and in store (I cannot call - no phone), I was originally issued a case reference number, estimating that I will have service within 3 business days. Today I connected to another agent, quoted the reference number, and they tell me it will take 3-5 business days to action.

I desperately need a phone for work and with all the issues of late with the Telstra network I thought I'd give optus a try. Pretty disappointing. 

When I had issues with my last Telstra contract with data allowance, they rectified the issue in 15 minutes and doubled my data allowance for the remainder of my contract - all for 15 minutes of inconvenience. The contrast here is incredible - Telstra go above and beyond whilst the best Optus can do is tell me to buy a prepaid sim whilst I wait for them to fix the issue? 

All the agents online and people in store are very willing to help, it just seems like they are very restricted in helping people in these types of situations. 

I basically don't know what to do. I don't know what the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman can actually do for me but it's probably worth a try at this point. 

5 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Sim not provisioned - ported number from Telstra

Did you organise to disconnect your service with Telstra? You needed to keep your service Active with Telstra, for Optus to port the number over, if you disconnected you may have lost your mobile number.  You would need to get Telstra to re-activate the number on there network so Optus can port the number over to the Optus Network.  If your number died with Telstra, as a result of the Port placed by Optus, and its not working on your Optus Sim, you need to call Mobile Tech Support on 1300300937 and ask to speak to the Porting Team if needed.  You can always request to lodge a complaint and have it cased managed with Optus, or ask to speak to a team leader, to talk to them via live chat at http://yesopt.us/chat2us.

If you ring your number from another service, what does it say, Disconnected, or go to Voicemail etc?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I didn't have anything cancelled by Telstra - it disconnected itself. 

Thanks for your advice. Spoke to the porting team & the same "3-5 business days" response was all I received. 

I just want out of this mess now. It's day 7 without a phone.

The cherry on top of the cake is when I had to PURCHASE a prepaid sim with another number earlier today because I'm travelling for work. I had the attendant set it up for me. 

Estimated 15 mins - 4 hours to have it activated? Of course not! 6 hours & counting without a phone. 

I thought surely it had to be the handset but neither of my sims work in another unlocked phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It's disappointing this has been your experience @KJ44, could you please send me a PM confirming the below details? I'll see if I can get you an update

Are you the primary account holder: 

Your full name: 

DOB: 

Account/phone number:

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well this is beyond stupid. WARNING TO EVERYONE - DO NOT PORT TO OPTUS!!!!!

2 weeks down and still nothing. I have received contact following my TIO complaint today - the incompetent fools had sent me a new phone & sim 1.5 weeks ago & now tell me to pack up my current phone and sent it back! And proceed to tell me they will cancel my 2nd contract "FOR ME" free of charge!!! This is your mess Optus, not mine. All you have done for me is waste hours of my time and lose me business. 

They have not fulfilled their end of my contract. I am sending both phones back and never paying a cent. 

Rant over, serious question time: I have it in writing from an Optus agent that I will not be charged if I opt out as I have never had a working phone. Is this the case? Or am I going to have a black mark put against my name that takes years to get rid of? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear it's come to that @KJ44.

The advice you've been given is correct. If you were to send back both handsets, we'd release you from contract without penalty. Have we arranged the return satchel for you? 

If you need a hand, we're happy to help.

You'll need to fill out the template @Tris has posted and send that through to → http://yesopt.us/pmdan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos