Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom Gateway F@st 5366 TN

1Gbps is max.
0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@civ43I have not seen any consumer equipment above 2.5Gbps yet, but I could be wrong ( I do not consider managed equipment a consumer device as you need to know about networking tom manage it correctly).

Do you have any 10Gbps devices? Do you have the appropriate cables and switches that support a 10GBps backbone?

Prices for 10G equipment has come down allot in the last 10 years and the cabling has become more accessible and cheaper.

Be aware that allot of the cheaper consumer 1Gbps switches will not have enough processing power to support multiple 1Gbps transfers at full speed at the same time.

0 Kudos
civ43
New Contributor
New Contributor

I hoped that the Sagemcom modem can handle 10 GbE LAN. It cannot. My network is all cat 7 and have a Terramaster F5-422 NAS both 10 GbE capable. I just been advised by an Optus engineer that all I need to complete a working 10 GbE setup is to add a second modem capable of 10 GbE between the server and the Optus modem. I have to keep the Optus modem to provide the telephone and wi-fi.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@civ43Based on your response either you have not included all of the equipment you have or Optus have incorrectly advised you as you can setup a 10Gbps network at home without adding a new/extra modem.

I have setup in the past a 1Gbps network with a modem that only supported a max sped on 100Mbps by using a 1Gbps switch.

0 Kudos
civ43
New Contributor
New Contributor

I meant just the opposite. The advice I've been given was to add a new additional modem capable of 10 GbE between my server and the Optus modem.

The complete setup of this private one-user network will consist of a computer with a 10 GbE card, a 10 GbE NAS, a new 10 GbE modem, the Optus Sagemcom modem, and the NBN box, all on a Cat 7 Ethernet cable. A 10 GbE switch will be added when a second workstation will be installed.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@civ43 wrote:

The advice I've been given was to add a new additional modem capable of 10 GbE between my server and the Optus modem.

That was bad advice. All you should need is a new 10 GbE switch. You might need a new 10 GbE router instead of 10 GbE switch if your 10 GbE LAN has multiple subnets or vLANS. No 10 GbE modem is needed in any circumstances.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@civ43With the last post including all of the equipment as per @YetAnotherAcc post all you need to get is a 10Gbps switch NOW to setup the 10G network between the PC and NAS. The modem will still be slower, but the only way to fix this is to get a faster NBN connection or pay for a business fibre connection.

The Optus peron who advised you IMHO did not have any idea and was wrong as you would not be able to find a 10gpbs modem that was not using fibre.

0 Kudos
civ43
New Contributor
New Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc @AndS 

Many thanks again to both of you.

Following your advice, I just ordered an ASUS XG-U2008 switch. It has 2 10GbE ports.

0 Kudos