Searching...
Highlighted

SOS only coverage at Cabrini Hospital, Malvern

Aljo

All Optus users are experiencing the same issue. When you are not near a window or door, the coverage drops down to 1 signal to SOS only. You have to go outside to get covergage. This is not great and ideal as this is a hospital and Optus users could not get any emergency calls or call out. We have to use landlines to call out. Telstra users do not have this issue. This is my primary place of work and would be here for 8 to 10 hours a day and I would not have the same coverage as what Telstra users are experiencing. I hope this can be improved and if not, I would just have to switch to another provider.

Re: SOS only coverage at Cabrini Hospital, Malvern

Jeneral__Pain

So in a hospital if you need emergency assistance, you'd have internal procedures for this.

Given that a hospital has many devices, many wireless devices etc. Without Optus building "in building" coverage you may find the coverage is possibly poor. Especially now with the new "Cancer building" being created, this could be blocking the cell that provides you with coverage.

Have you logged a fault with Optus faults?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Aljo

Hi Jeneral,

I appreciate your reply. We have some landline phones we could use to call out, it is just that I am in IT Support and go around a lot inside the hospital and if somebody was to ring my mobile, they can't and I also can't call out.

I have just logged a fault at the Optus "Log a Fault" page.

You are the first one that has replied and I really appreciate it. I hope Optus could improve the coverage here.

Thank you.

AlistarS

@Aljo, are there others you work with who are experiencing the same issue (whether they're running on the Optus network or a different carrier)? Are their certain sections of the hospital that are worse than others? 

There could be several issues that lead to poor-marginal indoor coverage. The construct of the building is a big one. Obviously, I'm not an expert, but I think that it's safe to say that they're built to withstand extreme events. The walls are normally very thick and composed of metals that might interfere with your mobile signal.

As @Jeneral_Pain mentioned, I'm sure there's also no coverage zones since they might interfere with medical equipment.  You could try switching to 3G only. We're seeing high indoor 3G coverage on the 900Mhz Network. It could be worth a shot. Other than 700Mhz LTE Network, the 900Mhz Network should offer greater penetration.

Let us know how the Optus investigation goes. Hopefully they can figure out a solution for you. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos