Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dreamlax
New Contributor
New Contributor

SIM card ordered online does not connect to Optus Network

I ordered a data-only SIM card from the Optus website earlier this week, and I purchased a ZTE MF920V modem from Officeworks.

Even after attempting to activate the SIM multiple times since I've received it, it can't connect to the Optus network (the network indicator light on the modem remains red). I tried putting the SIM card in my phone (which connects successfully to the Optus network through Amaysim) and it won't connect when it's installed in my phone either. It keeps saying "Unable to register on this network".

I took the SIM card and related information into an Optus store and they said they also ran it through the activation process and assured me that it will be functional within half an hour, however, 8 hours after I was told it would be functional, it still won't connect to the Optus network.

The ZTE modem came with an Optus SIM card, and when I insert that one, it connects to the Optus network without any issues (the network indicator light turns blue and starts blinking, which the manual says means there is a successful 4G connection).

So what gives? Did someone at Optus goof up and send me a bung SIM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
caaf
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: SIM card ordered online does not connect to Optus Network

The fact you can get the device working with other sims certainly leads you in that thought process. I guess the Optus store ran through the activation process as you showed difficulties. Now the next step would be a new sim and account check?!

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @dreamlax - thanks for reaching out to us. Can you please send through a PM with your account details, full name and DOB so we can take a look? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
dreamlax
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @Shauna, thanks for replying. I went into another Optus store today and managed to get it all sorted. I had to speak to someone on the phone, he mentioned my account had not fully progressed through all the setup stages so the SIM could never fully activate (or something like that). Only a few minutes after speaking to him, the network indicator light on the modem turned blue and I could use the internet!

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Glad to hear it's been sorted 🙂 Must have been a stuck order or wasn't provisioned correctly. Let us know if you need a hand with anything else. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos