Searching...
Highlighted

Reception Blackout - Belgrave/Lilydale Line

eilyk

Are there plans to fix the reception blackout between Camberwell and Surrey Hills? I can't use my phone at all for about 10 minutes and it's very frustrating! I use my train time to catch up on work but that's impossible for part of the journey. 

Re: Reception Blackout - Belgrave/Lilydale Line

Shauna

Hey @eilyk - I've taken a look and can see that Canterbury station is located in an area deemed 'low quality', which means handset antennas struggle to connect to the frequencies around them.

Upon looking at the towers in the area, they're all currently active, however there are no towers between Camberwell and Chatham station & as the train would be moving quite quickly between those stations, often your device will need to switch between tower to tower quickly in order to form some sort of connection. This can lead to drop outs. 

Other factors that may contribute to issues streaming on a train are train signals, congestion (especially during peak ours) building density & being around wetlands/water (which doesn't appear to be the case here)

This all being said, the good news is we're looking at upgrading the frequencies in that area to something a little stronger within the next 3 months Smiley Happy The only station that appears to not be included in this 'upgrade' is East Camberwell, but the surrounding stations should be. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Awoo

Totally agree. Switched over to Optus and the train line reception has been horrible!

eilyk

Thanks! Will be looking out for improvements!

Michael1987

I've just switched to it's Optus from Telstra.

I never had an issue with the train with Telstra, now I come to Optus and I can't use my phone at all on the train! My phone is what keeps me sane on the train at 6.30 in the morning! 

Seriously Optus, get it together!

I'm really questioning my decision to move from Telstra!

Shauna

Hey @Michael1987 - not good to hear how things have been going for you. 

Can appreciate during your commute it's almost imperative to have a working connection. 

To confirm, are you also commuting via the Belgrave/Lilydale line?

Can you please confirm the exact device you're using?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Michael1987

It is extremely annoying!

Yes I'm on The Belgrave/Lilydale line .It always drops out a bit after Chatam station until past Camberwell and again around Hawthorn station .

As mentioned I'm brand new to Optus and in using the Google Pixel 3XL .So I can't imagine it is something to do with my phone .

Dan_C

Sorry for the gap between responses @Michael1987

I've completed a coverage check for the area between Chatham station, East Camberwell station & Camberwell station. I've identified a coverage blackspot between this area. It stretches across Canterbury road and Dudley parade.

We do have plans to increase coverage in the area within the next 3-6 months. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

2Cents

There is poor 4G coverage between Auburn and Richmond on the Belgrave / Lilydale / Alamein lines.  It is very difficult / impossible to browse the internet / stream videos. This poor coverage makes it difficult to rely on Optus network for work calls / entertainment when travelling on these lines.

The service needs to be upgraded to ensure that there is better coverage on the line without the large blackout spots.

Michael1987

Seriously Optus! How long do we need to complain for before you fix the blackout spots along this train line!!!? 

This is rediculous!!! 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
26 Kudos
19 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos