cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: When will RCS and video calling be rolled out?

Hi Jim,

Just a note that if you want to flag someone I think you have to use the "@" method. That way they get an email.

@Dan_C 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I have asked the same contacts who gave us this update in April 2019 that I posted earlier in this thread:

Sorry all, have had confirmation that:

There is no plan for RCS in Networks for the next year.

When I hear something back I'll post it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That's not the answer we want to hear, Optus stated they will support RCS, when? In 2030! We need need a timeframe.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Ray_YC

Ray_YC can you please escalate this to someone other than yourself, and who can explain to it's Optus customers, why RCS is so hard to implement, as a Optus customer with multiple plans and accounts in my name, I was under the impression that RCS will be released in a timely manner especially as other network providers Telstra have enabled the feature, Optus is supposed to be a premium network provider that means more than just how many gigabytes a month a plan has, it's the whole package, please pass this message on to the appropriate people within Optus.
Surely I'm not alone here in regards to RCS..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We still cannot confirm if we’re developing a Telstra like native RCS messaging service or enabling support for Messages by Google. 

I’ve now reached out to our Android device testing team and have asked if there’s been any chatter around extending Messages by Google Support to Optus supplied Android devices.  

So far, we’ve sent this thread out to several areas of the business, none of whom have been able to give us an answer.

All we can do is keep asking for updates. Our team is normally across most things happening business (i.e. product launches, network feature support). 

Unfortunately, I haven’t come across any communication around RCS support. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Dan_C

Thanks for the reply, surely the right thing to do here in the meantime is for Optus to support for Messages by Google, and if they want to implement something else they can do that later
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Dan_C

Hi any update at all on RCS roll out? i wont stop messaging until Optus support RCS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"There is no plan for RCS in Networks for the next year."

I'm not sure how much clearer anyone could be? Suggest you try another carrier in the mean time and check back in 2021.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I thought Optus might surprise us! LOL and say RCS is here! OR
in the meantime for Optus to support RCS for Messages by Google, and if they want to implement something else they can do that later.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All are possibilities but I suspect only one is likely. Presumably Optus is aware of the demand (This thread is testament to that). That they've no apparent plans to adopt it for another 12 months (I think they made a commitment several years ago to implement RCS by last year and have said/done nothing since). That Google have offered them RCS on a gift wrapped platter and they haven't enabled even that suggests they really don't want to.

Other carriers use RCS and if its a feature you're interested in then voting with your feet is the only thing it seems Optus will (maybe) listen to. Plus you get the bonus of RCS.

What Optus plan do you currently have? Is it pre/post/on contract?
0 Kudos