cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor kpies110
New Contributor

Re: When will RCS and video calling be rolled out?

The hack uses Google’s servers yes but that’s not the original plan for RCS. The original plan for RCS was for carriers to roll out the Universal Profile or whatever it’s called, which means no matter what device or carrier you’re with — it just works. Telstra’s RCS team said as soon as any other Australian carrier supports RCS, they will work with them so that Telstra RCS is compatible. But Optus hasn’t said they would roll out RCS and haven’t made any movements on the new technology at all, which is frustrating.
Contributor jiminhno
Contributor

RCS is not a priority for Optus, it's been said by their lack of acknowledging it is a feature that their customers demand and want is disgraceful to be honest.
New Contributor kpies110
New Contributor

That really annoys me. I’m stuck in their contracts so I can’t switch without paying an arm and a leg. They should listen to their customers. Somehow the evil conglomerates of the telco industry in America have done a better job of listening to their customers than Optus has. Never thought that was possible.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor callmechknnugz
Occasional Contributor

But Telstra doesn't support universal profile, they have their own proprietary technology. I have a feeling by what Telstra was saying when they stated "work with other carriers" was "we will tell them what we have, but we're not changing it."
It even further concretes that when they state in their FAQs that Telstra messaging with only work with other people who have Telstra messaging enabled.
If they had universal profile, it would work with others carriers who have it, and it doesn't.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its possible that's what they meant but in business nothing is ever set in concrete (unless like me you work at a Precast Panel company). For whatever reason Telstra has decide to leave RCS alone and let other players decide what they're doing first. I suspect if it becomes a widespread option Telstra will definitely want in on RCS.

Perhaps a chance for Optus to lead the charge?
Contributor jiminhno
Contributor

Let's hope Peter 👍 Optus is more interested in rolling out it's 5G network it seems even though to be honest the major of its user base will not be needing 5g, unless they update their smartphones.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Vicomte777
Occasional Contributor

Optus's 5g offering is more about it's strategy for mobile broadband data not tied down to the NBN/RSP model where they own both WSP and RSP and can work in voice and data to third party providers as a product.
The major players through their LNP reps have actually shot themselves in the foot on the MTM. Anyway, it's have been better if 5G as a standard for voice required RCS
Occasional Contributor callmechknnugz
Occasional Contributor

Telstra already has RCS in the form of Telstra Messaging, they just use their own technology rather than pairing with Google. Telstra has had RCS since the end of 2017.
0 Kudos
New Contributor viet
New Contributor

Don't bother waiting for Optus, they are a budget mobile service provider compared to Telstra so most likely won't implement it especially now that Google is rolling out their own.

I've successfully enabled RCS using that Reddit workaround and can confirm it's working fine on both my wife and I's phones.
0 Kudos