Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Carroll83
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Question in regards to an old phone bought on an Optus Post Paid plan

I'm still on a Post Paid plan and currently on my 3rd handset.
Is my previous phone which is obviously all paid off locked to the Optus network? Instead of it sitting in a draw am I able to give it to my fathe to use with a cheap plan from another company?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Casey_YC

Re: Question in regards to an old phone bought on an Optus Post Paid plan

Hi there, @Carroll83

Thanks for your question! 

Generally speaking, the phones locked to the network are our prepaid handsets. As you mentioned this device was previously on a post paid plan, it should be an unlocked handset. 

That said, some earlier model iPhones sometimes need an unlock process followed in order to be used with a different network SIM. 

Our How to Unlock Your Prepaid Mobile Phone or Device page will give you some extra details, should you need it. 

I know this was a postpaid phone, but the page will assist should you need to double check any details. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Question in regards to an old phone bought on an Optus Post Paid plan

Should be completely unlocked. Just stick anyone else's SIM in it and you should be able to confirm you can make calls etc.

FWIW Post paid plans with paying off the phone are generally the most expensive way to do mobiles long term. If you have a phone paid off and possibly don't need more than 10-20Gb of data a month then you can get a prepaid SIM that only costs under $20 a month. Use the money you are saving to put aside and buy a new phone outright down the track (these days you save nothing on the phone cost and only pay top dollar for the required data plans)
Top Contributors