Searching...

Poor Reception in Bruce ACT

MZCanberra

Hi I live in a place of Bruce ACT where the official coverage map shows one tree for outdoor voice one door for indoor voice. I had look of my neighbors on the same side of the street. Their receiption are not better. Since the official map has shown poor reception I suppose this means it is not because I got a bad phone/SIM card/house. It is quite interest as the I got poor reception in one side of the road and good reception on the other side.

I am just wondering whether Optus have plan to upgrade the reception of this area?

Re: Poor Reception in Bruce ACT

10000000000GB

You may still have a bad phone, but high end Samsung phones are generally "blue tick" according to Telstra. The best one I have seen is the $15-40 Alcatel One Touch.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-nsw-metro-mona-vale/product/optus-prepaid-alcatel-2045x

10000000000GB

I just looked at the coverage map for 4G and 3G. Looks pretty solid. They will likely not upgrade anything. You need to look at cel-fi repeater, or VoLTE on the expensive phones.

[ Edited ]
MZCanberra

I was using Top Picks by Optus- Both Samsung and iPhone option. Ideally i don’t want to give up smartphone- I am sure Optus can try to work with smartphone. Canberra is not exactly regional area.

Volte would be fine although wont cut it when my phone is SOS

i get wifi calling works when I got got good wifi so I can get phone call and text when it becomes SOS in my drive way and back yard and home (which means my phone can work with other next work such as Telstra but not Optus). Wifi is not really everywhere and I suppose the one of the reason to use a service provider is to use their infrastructure not having to help myself?

Highlighted

MZCanberra

The reception in addresses below are shown as marginal both in door and outdoor:

50 Lampard Cct Bruce- a complex

63 Lampard Cct Bruce- a house

65 Lampard Cct Bruce- a house

of course this is not a full list of marginal reception I can fine.

experince with marginal is not ideal- bouncing between SOS and 3G connection. Battery being killed very soon.

of course Ce-Fi may work but cant Optus do something to improve things? Or should they advertise: just help yourself if your network is poor?

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

When I move the yellow pointer around your area, there is good reception all around you. This suggests that the radio is being blocked by concrete units. I can see why Optus should put a tower near you, because there is a big hole in the map. But there appears to be no proposal marked.

https://oztowers.com.au/Home/Query

The University has a Telstra tower, which will be clogged for data on 4G, but will work for 3G calls. Vodafone is thinking about putting a tower in. You could ask Optus store why the Uni is being ignored. They might tell you "next year" or something.

Your 4G Optus is very good, so VoLTE will work if you happen to pick the correct expensive SE,  S8 or S9 with no bugs in the VoLTE. Voice over wifi also works on the same phones.

What phone do you have?

MZCanberra

Thx for the information about Towers- this is the exact information I am looking for about the infrastructure around my area.

I tried to contact Optus over the phone but apparently, they are not able to provide anything meaningful about future plan - in your words "next year". Is there a way I can reach Optus in writing with something response more definite?

I can use VoLte and VoWifi works with my iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and VoLte for S7 I think but I didn't try VoWifi.

VoLte won't work when my phone become SOS now and then, but I can live with VoWiFi.

However I think that is just not good enough: I am not exactly in nowhere and apparently my neighbours got decent connection and why I don't get the same?

Also any other person in the community would experience similar difficulty, for instance in the complex address I mentioned above? What if they don't have a VoWifi phone? also how about visitors without access to Wifi. Is Optus becoming a voice over Wifi operator?

10000000000GB

The Belconnen Optus shop might have some answers

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos