Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Poor Reception After New Plan

Hello!

I recently hopped on a new plan from my iPhone 7 Plus to my Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G with the Optus Large 5G plan.

I live around the Glen Waverley area and haven't seen any reception above 2 bars! I have checked the Network coverage map and many forums and they all indicate that there should be plenty of coverage in 4G and 4G Plus.

I am wondering if there is anything to be done to improve my reception?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Poor Reception After New Plan

What do you mean by improve? What are you lacking at the moment besides two bars that is?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

have you try the sim back to the iphone 7 plus? Maybe the 5G signal isnt great in your area and you've been getting good signal with the 4G/3G network on the iphone 7 plus

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well, I was hoping to have full bar coverage when I live right near an Optus tower. I'm not expecting full 5G capabilities, but a decent enough 4G connection that it doesn't take 20 seconds to load a facebook page.

So I was asking if there is a way to 'improve' my 4G connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, I have!

Have full coverage in my iPhone 7 Plus, but when in Samsung S20 Plus it goes down to 2 bars.

Went into Optus today to see if it may be a sim card error (got a new sim card) and the issue still persists. The Optus Technician said it may have to be a tower issue and that I'd be able to lodge a formal issue online.

I'm not expecting full coverage for 5G, as it is a new technology. However, when 4G/4G+ has been around for so long, I was expecting a decent enough connection that I'd be able to hotspot my phone or use my data for Netflix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Just to confirm, the new simcard in the iphone = full signal.
new simcard in the s20 = 2 bars ? Which band are you connected to with the s20, 4G or 5G?

If you are getting full signal with the new sim on the iphone and not the s20 then that there might be an issue or settings with the S20. Try to change the prefer band to 4G/LTE and see if you can get full signal.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos