Searching...

Poor Mobile Coverage: Willoughby/Lower North Shore

drpatts

Our area around Willoughby/Castle Cove has ahd woeful mobile network OPTUS coverage for nearly twenty years. Even my father's farm 25 km North East of Orange has far better OPTUS Network coverage.

I have had OPTUS Cable since 2000 and have usually addressed this issue using Home Zone which at least gave me full coverage in my home office. After that was discontinued the WiFi Talk app worked reasonably on Samsung Galaxy S5 and S6 mobiles and iPhone 7 Plus. Wifi Calling also worked on the iPhone 7 Plus even up to 3 bars of coverage. However, last week I upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus only to find out that WiFi Talk can't be set up because the "Oops" coverage message comes up even where there is one or two bars of coverage. Then the WiFi Calling option on the iPhone 8 Plus only now works where there is no coverage at all and even then you have to use the phone in Aeroplane Mode (at least that's what the instructions state).

This is truly appalling in 2018 - and is so bad that I really can't use the new phone to make or receive calls with 8Km of the Sydney CBD. Any advice on either setting up WiFi Talk properly or WiFi Calling or other options?

Re: Poor Mobile Coverage: Willoughby/Lower North Shore

Aman_B

Hi @drpattsThis isn't really what we like to hear & I'm sorry this is the case. Optus WiFi Calling should work once your handset is connected to an Internet WiFi. I've also forwarded your area details to out network team for future network upgrades. Just to make sure you have selected Wifi Calling from your handset settings as per Here and Here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

drpatts

Hi

Thanks for this reply. The issue with WiFi Calling is that yes I have connected to Wifi which is linked to my OPTUS Cable plus I have the Voice & Data setting correct - but it appears that because I have 1-2 bars it won't kick in - and at 1-2 bars my calls are clear enough and constantly drop out?

Aman_B

Hi @drpatts - Thanks for checking that. Have you discussed this with our techs on 131344? With regards to WiFi Calling, this is something that will kick in as soon as you are connected to Home WiFi. Even if you've mobile network there, WiFi calling should work. Just to confirm your handset is Optus sold and you are a post paid customer? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

drpatts

Hi Aman,

I have set upe everything as per the instructions given.

WiFi Calling used to kick in when I had my iPhone 7 Plus on OPTUS. I upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus phone at the OPTUS Store at Westfield Parramatta last week with a new plan. The iPhone is working with most other things execpt WiFi Calling and WiFi Talk.

drpatts

Hi Aman,

BTW, I just tried to call support on 131344. about 5 minutes of multi-level going through number options, then they indicated a 30 minute wait. That's hopeless as I have work meetings this afternoon. I was not even sure by the end of the number options if I was at the right final option anyway. Let's see what is suggested through the posts here. I am also a Post-Paid Customer

Kartika

Hey @drpatts, even if you think you made the incorrect selection when calling Tech Support on 131344 it will still put you through to someone. Alternatively you can chat with them → here. I have just spoken to Support to confirm they had quite a few customers come through with the same issue. They are already aware of this. You will need to speak with them directly to raise a ticket. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

drpatts

Kartika and Aman,

I have a solution!!

In the end I gave up on tech support and went back to the OPTUS Store where I had bought the phone last week. After a long session attempting to trouble shoot the problem it was eventually chased down to a dashboard that only the OPTUS Sales Representative could access where they can switch the VOLTE setting. That was done by the OPTUS person today and that fixed WiFi Calling.

The key note here is that the OPTUS instructions do state that VOLTE has to be set to "on" - but images only refer to the 4G being enabled with "Voice + Data" selected. The user can't do the extra step of actually turning on VOLTE in a separate dashboard.

Make sure that when phones are sold or upgraded or checked that VOLTE has been turned on using a separate dashboard by the OPTUS person you are dealing with!!

Tano

Ah, great to hear you finally got it sorted @drpatts Smiley Happy We'll need to pass on this feedback you've provided here. Thanks for your patience with all of this.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
17 Kudos
17 Kudos
10 Kudos
8 Kudos
8 Kudos