Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
openmisere
New Contributor
New Contributor

Please improve the capacity / data throughput of the Optus tower at xxx, NSW

Hi

I use Optus for home broadband, and my directional 4G antenna points at the Optus tower at 510 Galston Road, Dural, NSW.

The experience we have with our Optus 4G service is that it data throughput is HIGHLY dependent on the time of day/night.

A few months ago I automatically ran a speed test every 15 minutes for two weeks, with the results shown on the chart below. You can see that the unloaded capacity of the tower at xxx is OK, as it achieves ~30Mbps down / ~13Mbps up unloaded in the early hours of the morning.

However, the data load during the day/evening is crippling the tower to such an extent that the data speeds are really, really, really bad. The average upload and download speed at 9pm is  just 2.9Mbps both up and down!

openmisere_0-1626224238106.jpeg

I've tried raising this issue via the Optus mobile chat service - but the people there don't know/care about this type of enquiry - they seem much more interested in selling me another Optus service.

If SOMETHING could be done to improve the capacity / data throughput of the Optus tower at 510 Galston Road, NSW, it would be greatly appreciated!

Any hints about who to contact within Optus to share this information/request would be greatly appreciated?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Please improve the capacity / data throughput of the Optus tower at 510 Galston Road, NSW

Morning @openmisere, thanks for reaching out. Just a heads up, this is a public forum and so we have marked out your address to protect your information and privacy.

Moving forward though, its not great to see that you are having some connectivity issues with the mobile towers. If you could please send through your service details over to our Social Media team, we would be more than happy to look into it and advise further. Our teams are available over on Facebook and Twitter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Please improve the capacity / data throughput of the Optus tower at 510 Galston Road, NSW

@Tuong_YCWhat is the process of end users letting Optus know that there is tower congestion in the evenings or when there are sporting crowd on a regular basis? Be aware that @openmisere is using a "directional antenna" and as such should be a user with allot more knowledge than the normal 4G user.

@openmisereHope you have LTEMonitor or LTEInspectuer to change bands and CA settings as this may be of some use to try and optimize the download speed when the tower is congested, but you may need to remove the optimization the next day in the morning as it may cause your speeds to slow down during the day.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Hey @AndS. I have just responded to your post regarding to this enquiry. Whilst I can certainly appreciate your frustration given the connection issues faced, we do recommend keeping interactions to one channel just to avoid any miscommunication. Thanks for that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
openmisere
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @AndS and @Tuong_YC . I could go into my antenna software and play about with APNs and Bands, but I can't be doing that every day and that doesn't help the rest of my family when I'm not around.

My main point is the speed test chart shows that I have good enough 4G reception to get ~30Mbps down / ~13Mbps up. (And there are plenty of individual speed tests that are better than that.) However, the Optus tower is getting overloaded by users during the day and especially in the evening. I understand that there is going to be some data throughput tax during the day/evening, but for average download speeds to reduce by more than 90% from the hourly high to low is unreasonable. Optus can and should do something to fix this.

Top Contributors