Searching...

Pixel 3/3XL eSIM support

HoochieMamma

Hello

I was just wondering if you can start looking into supporting the Pixel 3 / Pixel 3 XL for eSIM compatibility. 

There is no reason why you cannot support the Pixel line as you already have iPhones working with eSIM at the moment.

Thanks

Re: Pixel 3/3XL eSIM support

petergdownload

Out of interest @HoochieMamma how would this work in practice? I'm not sure on the benefits of eSim day to day. Currently I have a SIM chip and just slide in a new one if I change providers. The eSim would presumably allow the details to be updated remotely? But I'd need other carriers to offer eSim services too? 

I'm just trying to get a sense of how an eSim would benefit you now? What can iPhone users do that we can't?

Peter Gillespie

SamSam

I think the main benefit stems from it essentially making it a dual SIM phone. So less about not having a SIM card and more about being able to leverage a second service in the one device which hasn't been widely supported in Aus previously in terms of major carriers stocking physical dual sim phones. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted

Paddylee

From what I have read its a limitation set by Google itself and not the telcos in Australia. 

Reading other forums the issue clearly lies with google australia and them limiting it. 

You need yo speak to google as to why they dont allow aus stock pixels to use esim. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

HoochieMamma

Is it Google though? This isn't an Australian bought pixel 3 xl from a physical store here. It was bought from Google directly.

I tried to do the swap today via a Optus store and they processed a sim to esim swap and it came up with an error and to contact your carrier when I scanned the QR code. Had to go back to a physical sim. 

It wouldn't make sense for a Google bought phone direct from play.google.com to not work with esim. If I bought the phone here I could understand the telcos getting their grubby hands on the phone and locking out features and adding things to it but not a Google bought one.

Either way, what I want to get across is Google and Optus need to work together to get esim working in Australia. No reason at all for only iPhone to be supported.

Paddylee

Its not an Optus limitation its a google one.

Optus has zero control over that phones firmware, which is what is limiting esim.

Google with their pixel 2 locked the US versions to only use the google fi carrier, so they do have control over who is allowed to use esim.

Apple on the other hand - has opened up esim for carriers that meet their requirements.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

HoochieMamma

Hmmm odd

When I question it on Googles forums I get them saying Optus just hasn't enabled it on their end and that the Pixel 3 supports eSIM perfectly fine and that Optus only have iOS devices enabled for eSIM for some reason?

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/4777312?hl=en

I just don't see the benefit for Optus to only support iPhones as their site specifically says iPhones only too

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/esim-for-iphone-what-you-need-to-know?requestType=Norma...

Paddylee

Few things to remember with the Pixel 3.

Only supports 1 active sim at a time, it cant have both esim and physical sim connected at the same time. 

So for now esim on pixel 3 is not supported be it whoevers fault. Optus clearly states its for iPhone only (as tgey went through the process with apple and are now recognised on the Apple website as esim supporting) 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
9 Kudos
9 Kudos
7 Kudos