Searching...
Accepted Solution

Phone number ported without authorisation

CaitlinH

Today at around 3pm my phone service changed to “SOS ONLY” and yes.. i did try turning it on and off many times, even took the sim card out and cleaned it. I called Optus and spoke to 4 people before i got a proper answer. Turns out my phone number has been ported to another provider... WHICH I DID NOT AUTHORISE and they’re telling me i have to go instore and fill out some form for a fault that OPTUS DID ? How is this possible ? How can someone just port my phone number ? I have had this number since i was 12 and i am so very upset about this. How is this OK ??? I currently do not have a working phone number and Optus are telling me they can’t fix it unless i fill out a form instore even then they may not be able to get my number back. I am beyond disgusted at what has happened and how my number can be taken away from me without my permission. I can’t work without my Mobile number and Optus won’t even compensate me for something that they stuffed up ? Oh boy i am frustrated beyond tears. Has this happened to anyone else recently and could they provide some feedback on their experience ? Many thanks 

Solution

Re: Phone number ported without authorisation

Paddylee

Unfortuantely their is very little that Optus can do as it has to follow a set of rules for number portability taht the Aus Gov has set out.

If someone has your personal details like date of birth, fulle name and most likely account number they can use that to port to a different provider.

https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Numbers/Keeping-your-number/mobile-number-portability-faq

This section covers your issue:

21. Can my number be ported without my permission?

Only the authorised customer (or the customer’s authorised agent) of a mobile service can authorise a port. The new provider is required to verify the customer’s personal information before processing a port request.

If an unauthorised port does occur and you wish to remain with your previous provider, contact your previous provider as soon as possible to arrange for the port to be reversed.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

CaitlinH

Seriously how is this fair ?! That someone can just take my number away from me. I can’t get to an optus store until after 3pm today as I am at work... and of course without a working number i can’t contact anyone once i leave my house (because i’m connected to wifi) so what are my chances that by the time i get to an Optus store it will be too late ?? I also have a phone on a plan on its way and due for delivery in a few days for the number that was taken away from me... Woukd it be best to just cancel the order? 

petergdownload

Its not about fair.

You're the victim of a crime. The new Telco is a victim of a crime. Optus is the victim of a crime.

Bad stuff happens but thankfully there's processes in place to undo what has happened here.

As the person most affected your part is to head into a local store and fill out a form and provide some ID. It doesn't have to be next day but obviously the sooner the better. The rest can be handle by others but it will be several days at least before your SIM is reactivated.

I wouldn't cancel any current orders as throwing more spanners into what is already a mess is likly to just create other issues. 

Hopefully it should be sorted out by next week sometime.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

CaitlinH

Thanks for your reply, Peter. 

This whole ordeal has just made me want to cancel everything with Optus and go somewhere else. I feel like if this is happening more often to people then something should be done about it.. It’s a security breach and i’ve been reading up onto it and people have lost thousands of dollars due to “hackers” porting their number without authorisation. 

I will go into a store this afternoon and hopefully can get it resolved. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Agree that (all) Telcos have been slow to fix this. One of the problems is that the protocols are all bound by international agreements so there's less flexability than you'd think to improve the situation.

As you've possibly read a common scenario is hackers get your phone then request password updates (which are sent to the phone). If you have SMS banking security then I would contact your bank to report the issue until your number is confirmed yours again.

If your email (gmail?) has SMS recovery options (or any other major web service you use) then I would remove the number from having access until then too.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Sam14

It happened with me today, I dont know what to do bank accounts were compromised thousands gone.

I have heard stories about internal optus employees involved , its a big hack

Paddylee

None at all, its been going on since porting was introduced.

The Telcos dont set the conditions/requirements, the ACMA (gov) does.

ACMA have not kept up with the times and drastically need to change the process to provide a level of security.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

@Paddylee,

I agree ACMA has a lot to answer for in this area (not called the paper tiger for nothing - or perhaps it is called that for (doing) nothing). However while they might set minimum standards / requirements for porting there is nothing stopping Telcos from adding simple effective additional measures 

It was the same with the premium SMS scam, where a lot of regulation was put in place to ensure customers would only be subscribed after very unambiguous out in processes had been followed. Unfortunately the regulations placed the legal responsibility for confirming the double opt in process with the premium SMS subscriber.

The Telco industry (the other player and beneficiary in the Premium SMS service) willfully ignored the millions of complaints customers made that these processes were not being followed. They set everyone to opt in by default themselves and made no efforts to verify any Premium SMS COmpanies veracity.

Unfortunately Optus in particular seems to have moved into a buisness approach that see's opportunity in taking advantage of its own customers through extended inaction (be it not providing the basic tools to control their monthly spend to just looking the otherway when such glaring deficiencies become apparent). 

The banks have taken this approach and are paying for it now. However they're too big and there's really no competition between them so its really just a case of pick your poison. Optus has relied on its great value mobile network and duopoly Cable Internet Network to see many of its excesses overlooked to date. But now with high competition in the mobile arena and the NBN bringing the same user experience to all homes Optus (IMO) needs to do a lot more than say they are doing the bare minimum required by ACMA.

Peter Gillespie

Sam14

It happened with me yesterday, I was just horrified rushed to the bank and saw thousands dollars were wiped away ...... but mostly it is happening with optus customers , how can you allow.the port out to happen without comapring the voice recording or voice recognition softwares.

Paddylee wont agree but that is the truth I will be seriously considering weather to even stay with optus, and then to reverse the port is a very cumbersome process, Hoplessness at its best.

I will be emailing the executive management with this issue as its a big systematic loop hole

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
10 Kudos
9 Kudos
8 Kudos