Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Phone number ported without authorisation

@Sam14

Compare the voice recording to what?

@Logged-Off is correct that the process itself is industry mandated and definitely in need of a top level overhaul. 

Good Luck 

Peter Gillespie

Sam14
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Happened again just six hours ago. Even after setting up the PIN they were able to port the number out to vodafone.

Australian telcos should learn from the practices in US, and adapt a similar policy/ strategy against this scam, it seems to increase day by day

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Pin numbers dont stop the automated porting process. 

Telcos cant add security layers ontop as they HABE to abode by the number portability code set by ACMA (Fed Gov department)

Until ACMA make a change this is what we are left with. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So what is actually happening when this sort of porting occurs @Logged-Off?

I take it the request has to come from another Telco (i.e. Vodaphone). Presumably Vodaphone have confirmed 100 points of ID for the requester to set up an account on their end? Or is there an easier way to request a port? Can any valid account be used that just enters the phone number they want to port?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Logged-Off
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Still needs to provide id for either pre or postpaid so there is obviously further identity theft involved or the Telco didnt carry out the required checks on prepaid for ID (Vodafone was guilty of that last year after a system "bug" allowed prepaid online signups to proceed as a "id checked instore" button was showing when it should not and allowed the account to be created with no checking)

You go to your new provider, fill in the porting form and as long as details match up the old telco receives a loss notice and has to release the service to the new telco.

On Business accounts you just fill in the form, as a business its under the business name not individual so perhaps thats how its being done? 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks, 

It would seem that the requesting Telco would be the one responsible for managing the security. So once the number is ported then presumably with the other ID information scammers can get through additional security by getting SMS to a phone. Would seem to be unneeded ATM though as most institutions will reset passwords and disable 2FA on request so long as you can identify yourself (name DOB account etc.)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Sam14
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Can you please help me porting it back, I am filled out the paperwork and send it to the porting team...... but nothing has happened 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry if we seem unhelpful but there's nothing we (crowd mambers) can do. 

AS @Logged-Off says once ID hurdles have been passed at Vodaphone then the transfer essentially becomes automatic and has a legal basis. 

What annoys me is that the Telcos (all of them) seem to have a "don't care" approach to what is a serious and possibly ruinous event for customers. There's nothing stopping Optus sending an SMS to the number in question when they recieve the port request, instead they do it when they complete the request. All Telcos should have an emergency contact number that can specifically disable a stolen, lost or illegally ported phone. Instead you're asked to fill out a form and wait for potentially days with no contact.

All I can suggest is contact Optus (and VodaPhone) again and ask what is happening.

Peter Gillespie

Sam14
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Exactly like tht what happens in the US they have a special number, and now for this blunder I have to go thru their sales team lol

0 Kudos
CaitlinH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sam14. I posted this about a year ago but the whole ordeal was ridiculous. 

I read that you may think it could be Optus service team involved ??? This makes sense to me because at the time of my porting I was waiting on a new iPhone and I had used the chat system to ask for a different colour (only because it was going to come sooner and I needed it) after that chat ended and the colour was changed, that’s when my number got ported out. 

I ended up getting mu number back but I had to make ALL the effort for something I didn’t even do. 

Hope everything is well and you get it back soon. 

0 Kudos