Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Phone calls dropping out - reception, tower damaged, network overloaded?

Hi everyone,

I'm in Culburra Beach, Shoalhaven area NSW. My work mobile keeps dropping out. It's always happened a few minutes into a call, but now it's only seconds into the call. I just switched my personal phone and my partner's personal phone over from Virgin to Optus (Virgin uses the Optus network and had no problems with them). Since we switched, both our personal phones keep dropping out too. It's a tourist area here and much busier than usual since Christmas (when we switched from Virgin). Could that be affecting it? OR we had a few big storms here, though the Outage map shows no problems. What should we do? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Phone calls dropping out - reception, tower damaged, network overloaded?

Just checked with a friend in the same suburb and she has the same problem. She said it always happens in holiday time (when we get lots of tourists staying). Anyone got any idea why, and what can be done about it? Anyone else in the Culburra area want to let Optus know there is a problem?

I chatted with the support person on the Optus chat and they have reported the problem... after going through troubleshooting in case it was the phone... Which doesn't seem very lilely given I have 3 different phones on different accounts here (own, partner's and work phone)...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm a Culburra Beach and have not been able to complete a call for days. Every time I try the phone drops out. We have 3 iPhone 8s with optus here and its the same with all three. I had a friend here today also with optus and he had the same problem. I've also been onto tech support and spent around half and hour with them going through a series steps with the handpiece, none of which made any difference. I was given a case number and got a text this morning asking if the problem had been solved but have heard nothing since. What is going on?????

I've checked friends with Telstra phones and they are all working OK. Looks like I'll be changing providers if its not sorted out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Having the same issue, our whole household is Optus, generally slow but had nothing for 3 days. Knowing what's going on would be nice...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've just been onto Optus live chat and got the following info;

Yes that is correct because there is an unplanned outage in your location and the team is working on it. And sorry to say but no time frame has been provided here as its unplanned one.

Suggest you contact them and ask for a refund as I have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey guys, I just wanted to jump in and give you all an update. We've actually raised PR - 17952815 for this one. The following remark was noted on the 12/01/18:

The local Opts site in the region is reporting a lot of walk-ins regarding degraded voice/data, whilst the site has been suffering from congestion due to holidaymakers the site is starting to return to normal with users moving out of the area.

An update was left on the ticket earlier on the evening advising that we've made some changes to the site configuration. 

We do have a number of customer's attached to the ticket and we'll be following up with them to ask if there's been a noticeable improvement. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos