Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor xknackersx
New Contributor

People using OptusNet cannot access my domain

Hey everyone,

I have a domain name. It is used for company email and website hosting. Our hosting recently changed and new nameservers were applied. This has replicated around the globe and we have no issues anywhere except from OptusNET customers.

First up, I am not an Optus customer. I only know this as our company employs several thousand users across Australia - most with very limit tech knowledge. Many of them are now unable to send us email or bring up our websites. They get bounce responses that the domain cannot be found.

I have submitted a support request to Optus and received a ticket number but cannot get anyone to respond to me (other than automatic replies).

Where can I seek some assistance about this?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: People using OptusNet cannot access my domain

Did you confirm that the global replication actually included the Optus name servers? Those check tend to be representative only, so the Optus name server may not have been included in that check.

You might want try out the Optus SNS servers ( 198.142.152.164 & 198.142.152.165 ) on one of your devices to see if you can replicate the problem.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks YAA,
After looking up the Optus DNS servers and using NSlookup I get about a 40% failure rate - Query refused for both their primary and secondary DNS server IPs.

I could not resolve anything with the IPs you listed above.

I've tested with many public DNS servers and they all work.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus have a bunch of dns servers all over the country the ones I have you were from ones I've come across in the past (see below).  I have no idea how many they actually have.

When did you change your name servers? I've always been told it takes upto 24 hours to fully propagate.

198.142.152.164 dnsany01.optusnet.com.au
198.142.152.165 dnsany02.optusnet.com.au
198.142.0.51 dns.mel.optusnet.com.au
211.29.132.12 dns.mas.optusnet.com.au
211.29.93.7 dns.per.optusnet.com.au
203.2.75.132 dns.syd.optusnet.com.au
211.31.138.11 dnspax.mel.optusnet.com.au

0 Kudos
New Contributor

The first two IPs time out - I can never get a response so may be restricted to internal source IPs.

However the rest are all the same. About a 40% failure resolving the domain.

FYI: The DNS changes on our domain were done 3 weeks ago. I've attempted to update some records to refresh the domain serial and hopefully stimulate a new round of propagation but this has also failed.

Does anyone have a high level tech support contact that you can forward this to or provide me their details? As I was typing this I got another support request from an Optus user who could not load our pages.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

At 3 weeks it definately seems more than a typical propergation issue.

If you want you can PM the domain and I can see what an Optus user sees.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Ray_YC 

One of the reasons I, an Optus customer, haven't used Optus' DNS servers for years is because I used to get random intermittent problems with arbitrary sites. It was just simpler and less painful for me to switch to another DNS provider then trying to raise support requests.

@xknackersx  's domain is a perfect example of that type of intermittent problem. He has PM'd me his domain name and over the last few hours I've yoyo-ed between complete success loading his site to complete failure, and everything in between when using Optus' DNS servers.

When using cloudflare/google DNS servers they work every single time, not matter how hard I try and trip them up.

So @Ray_YC , can you please have your network people get in touch @xknackersx and solve his problem, as it is affecting Optus customers, and hopefully that will also lead to a more reliable Optus DNS for all other Optus users.

New Contributor

Thanks for your help. Hopefully some resolution can be found.

Your workaround would be tolerable if it were me having problems and that's exactly what I'd have done.

@Ray_YC 
But for those having issues reaching our site it's not an option, when it could easily be hundreds of people affected that can barely even turn a computer on, and ask them to edit their DNS server.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi guys,

I'm afraid it's not as simple as any of us on Yes Crowd to locate a person from our many departments to request that they contact a customer (or in this instance not a customer) to assist with an issue they are having. I wish! 

What is your ticket number?

P.S. Appreciate the help you have been providing, YAA.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Any access you have @Ray_YC  is better than the zero access enyone outside of Optus would have, not to mention now hard it would be having to repeat ourselves with every new person we would be shunted through, and we still would not end up this the right person.

I'm sure you, or one of your subordinates, could find out for example how to get in touch with the network operations center and ask them who supports the DNS servers and point them to this thread & @xknackersx .

0 Kudos
Top Contributors