cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Paying full price for a service that barely works

I currently have wireless broadband & am getting speeds of 1-2 mbps to attempt to stream, which isn't working well.  I'm constantly having to switch the modem off & back on; only to have it be faster for about ten minutes & then lose speed again.  I'm also one of the only customers that is not eligible for free unlimited data for the next two months because you've decided not to include wireless, even though it's a limited account. 

So why am I having to pay full price for a service that is obviously struggling to work properly due to the number of people using it during the lockdown?  Should I not be entitled to some kind of discount if I'm only getting a speed of 2mbps?

By the way, I just tested it again & now I'm down to 0.1 mbps.  How ridiculous!!

9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Paying full price for a service that barely works

Do you think that Optus running costs have decreased due to the lock down? Why should you get compensated for something that is affecting both you and Optus? If you wish to discontinue the service that's always an option, its up to you if you want to pay for 2Mbps or try other options.

Wireless broadband can't handle unlimited data. Its a physics limitation. If you want to increase your data allowance then you can sign up for another wireless plan online. Month to month. You'll be sent a $200 modem. Worst case you'll be hit with $200 but you should be able to return it (unopened) later for a recredit as Optus usually don't require you to have it if you already have one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well that's stupid.. and who asked you? I have no interest in your opinion.. this is a post for a Optus staff member. I'm not going out and paying twice as much for the same thing, as it's going to be slow also. I'm already paying for this.

Everything else is being subsided.. rent, mortgages, wages.. if the service isn't working properly, I shouldn't have to pay full price for it!

And I don't need more data.. I was simply stating that it's unfair to offer unlimited data to everyone else and we get nothing.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This is a public forum. Your asking anyone who reads your posts. Ironically Optus staff won't respond directly to your query here but just direct you to other channels.

I'm not sure what you found stupid. The laws of physics dictate you can't get unlimited data. If you don't want any more data then why complain about others that get it?

As mentioned you don't need to keep paying for your service if it's working badly. But you don't get to decide what price you think is acceptable to pay either
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@petergdownload - you're either an idiot or seriously lacking in knowledge relevant to the OP query. Trying to bring physics into this argument is blatantly incorrect. Rather than jump on people who are posting, how about you find yourself a library and improve your reading comprehension and then maybe, if you've still got time before New Years festivities start, you can work on your knowledge of physics.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload, you obviously have no idea how my modem works. I am able to use as much data as I like.. but once I go over 200gb, I have to pay extra. It doesn't cut me off once I go over.. so why can't I use more? All they would have to do is waive the fees for any data I use over 200gb, since they are doing that for customers on ALL OTHER PLANS!

Maybe you should educate yourself before making a fool of yourself by posting stuff you know nothing about.

@TheRealJoel, thank you.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Azura-Skye wrote:

All they would have to do is waive the fees for any data I use over 200gb, since they are doing that for customers on ALL OTHER PLANS! Maybe you should educate yourself before making a fool of yourself by posting stuff you know nothing about.

We can't help what we don't know but  IMO a fool is someone who chooses to listen to bad advice instead of swallowing the harder pill. 

Sure you have 'unlimited data' but after 200Gb it gets expensive This is how Optus translate the laws of physics into something most people can understand (i.e. $$$). Optus simply can't provide unlimited data over wireless (and they aren't and won't). For a few with enough money they could  download as much data as they want, but for 99% of others you get to 200Gb and then stop shortly thereafter. In this way the limited bandwidth of wireless internet is not flooded to the point of being unusable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@TheRealJoel ,

So what is your theory behind why just about every wireless broadband provider around the world has relatively limited data allowances? All I've done is explain the reason behind why Optus have provided free data to every customer except those on wireless broadband. If you have alternate information or ideas to contribute then the crowd would love to here it. So far you've actually added nothing to the conversation.

Anyone can call some one blatantly wrong. It would probably be much more helpful (to the OP and me) if you could instead  provide an example. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@petergdownload  - get a life

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Again with the assumptions and put downs? I've already got the wife, two kids, 150k IT job, house in the burbs, investment portfolio, home renovation, Uni Degree, etc. Frankly, I can't fit much more in.

Unlike you though , I use some of my not very spare time to contribute here.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors