Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
harleyzz5
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus to Sinagpore ping terrible

My ping to Singapore used to be around the 120ms mark, a little over 4 days ago it jumped right up to 250ms. Im on 100/40 NBN FTTP and it's never been this bad. To make matters worse it's quite clear this is a routing issue.

Installing a program like Exitlag and using the VPN drops on the same connection from 250ms to 90ms.

Please fix the route, something is wrong at the moment.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Casey_YC

Re: Optus to Sinagpore ping terrible

Hey there, @harleyzz5

Thanks for raising this issue here. 

Just to clarify, have you made any changes  to servers settings on the game at all lately? Whether that be purposefully or by accident?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

harleyzz5
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No changes this end, was working fine one day and then changed the next. Reset modem a few times to see if it was that but no luck.
0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Thanks for that, @harleyzz5

In this case you may wish to have a chat with the Technical Messaging team by messaging us via the My Optus App for more specific assistance. 

It also might be worth seeing if our new Game Path option is suitable for you. Game Path can reduce lag, ping spikes and therefore jitter by ensuring you are always on the most optimal path to the game server.

You can find more information here - Game Path.
Your secret weapon against lag.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@harleyzz5Another thing to try is to tracert <ip> or equivalent depending on OS to see if you can find the router(s) that are slow now.

Also you could if you can find other IP addresses in say in the SE Asian countries like Indonesia or Malaysia and see what the results are and compare them the to the Singapore.

This may be of some use, Optus 4G connection

$ ping www.ipos.gov.sg

Pinging d23aysnwqj9o00.cloudfront.net [65.8.42.59] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 65.8.42.59: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=244
Reply from 65.8.42.59: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=244
Reply from 65.8.42.59: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=244
Reply from 65.8.42.59: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 65.8.42.59:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 46ms

This may be of some use as well:

$ tracert www.ipos.gov.sg

Tracing route to d23aysnwqj9o00.cloudfront.net [65.8.42.59]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms homerouter.cpe [192.168.8.1]
2 68 ms 220 ms 199 ms 10.40.0.8
3 360 ms 22 ms 23 ms 10.194.27.81
4 40 ms 20 ms 21 ms 10.194.121.254
5 29 ms 14 ms 16 ms 10.194.121.233
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 86 ms 36 ms 42 ms hu0-6-0-0.33vspr01.optus.net.au [59.154.18.196]
11 63 ms 51 ms 38 ms 52.95.218.124
12 59 ms 36 ms 51 ms 52.93.33.52
13 57 ms 42 ms 48 ms 150.222.72.101
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 85 ms 34 ms 36 ms 65.8.42.59

0 Kudos
harleyzz5
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok pinging the URL you gave me doesn't work because it uses the local CDN to return results. So the ping and response came from Sydney which is low and fine.

harleyzz5_0-1610919036613.png

This also doesn't seem to be a isolate inncident. I found a post from May 2020 with the same issues.

High Latency/Ping on South East Asia servers - Yes Crowd - 602736 (optus.com.au)

High Latency/Ping on Asia servers - Yes Crowd - 622218 (optus.com.au)

It's certainly strange, my ping to the USA servers are 180ms and the SEA ones are 250ms which are significantly closer. Yet when I use Exitlag I get 90ms, not as if my PC is teleporting using Exitlag 😄

Other ISP's are not getting this, my friends from Cairns are getting 140ms to SEA with Telstra.

Yet a friend from Perth with Optus was getting 200ms, he should be significantly quicker from Perth because he is closer so it's some sort of routing issue from Optus?

Any way I could get a 10 day trial of the game route mentioned?

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Thanks for this info @harkeyzz5. I've flagged your post as feedback for the relevant teams to review as we're always looking to improve on our products.

If you are interested in Game Path, you can sign up for a thirty day free trial if you have an Optus nbn service. To sign up for the free trial, just open up the My Optus App and select your nbn service. You can then tap the Game Path tile and follow the prompts. 

harleyzz5
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey so 'Game Path' first off didn't work at all......Like the games won't start. I've cancelled that I was willing to pay if the application worked properly I guess.....Some feedback it's super clunky to use.

I'd really appreciate if the routing used before which did give me my 120ms ping to the Singapore server was just fixed and I didn't have to pay an additional $10 to use some fancy routing.....Like was bad routing to Singapore introduced on purpose to get people to pay for 'Game Path'...

Not really happy at the moment.

0 Kudos
Sarah_YC

I'm sorry to hear your experience with Game Path has left you feeling this way, harleyzz5.

We recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

0 Kudos
harleyzz5
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Other people with the same issue.

Still not resolved.

Re: Singapore ping doubled - Yes Crowd - 622143 (optus.com.au)

I will lodge a complaint with ACCC, your forcing people to leverage a $10 subscription to use games, instead of by default using the optimal routes. I'm sure ACCC will have something to say about that.

0 Kudos