cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Nigerian_Grongo
New Contributor

Optus terrible routing to Asia

So every other internet service providers have the best routing to Asian counties, whereas Optus somehow managers to have the worst of all of them. For example a Telstra user would get 100-160 ms ping to Hong Kong whereas Optus uses would get 200-280 ms to Hong Kong. I guess Optus don't have the best submarine cables to Hong Kong. This isn't just Hong Kong, same with routing to Japan Optus users would get 200+ and Telstra user would get around 100. 

I know your ping changes if you have Fibre to house comparing to someone who doesn't. This will have maybe 20-40ms difference. Someone who lives right next to me with a different ISP would get different ping to HK or Japan depending on how good their routing is. Or you could use a VPN to get better ping to certain countries.

What I want to know is why do I have to pay some other vpn company to offer me better connection to overseas servers and what is Optus doing to improve their routing to Hong Kong and Japan?

When will I be able to get 100 ping to these servers without having to use a VPN?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus terrible routing to Asia

Fair question Nigerian_grongo but best directed by asking our Technical Support/Networks team.

Please Message Us here or from your My Optus app under the Help menu choosing the Broadband & NBN > Technical issues options. Request to speak to someone higher up as it's likely the initial agent doesn't have that information upfront.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy