cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Optus Sports and Dodo Fast NBN

I tried to watch a premier league game last night however about every 1 minute it kept buffering, before dying completely. I tried settings for no battery optimization and set up for complete background data including do not disturb mode. The issue was persistent for several times, even forced closed app and rebooted. 

Then I switched to mobile data and boom perfect, not even a stutter. I know the NBN is a bit shoddy,  but seriously it's meant to be better than adsl2, or is it just Dodo, who used to have a bad reputation,  but seemed to have improved of late.

Is it possible for the log details of my sessions to be forwarded to me. So I can prove to dodo their connection is not able to watch live streaming. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus Sports and Dodo Fast NBN

Hi @Dazkatmaka11 ,

I'll leave aside the idea that Dodo might be a semi decent RSP (not my first pick). 

But as you say the NBN should be able to easily stream Optus Sports. First up what NBN technology do you have? FTTN?

Second if the issue is with Dodo (or the NBN) then you should have issues in other areas. What results do you get when you run a speed test?

Also what plan speeds are you paying for on Dodo? 12Mbps? 50Mbps?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I'm on the 50/20 plan.

I am noticing that it does seem to have issues with Facebook and Mesenger. Facebook seems to lag and not load in pages, switching to mobile data also fixes this. As for messenger it just constantly nags me to switch to mobile data. 

The technology is FTTN dual band modem (Huawei)

Screenshot_20190901-111216_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No obvious problems there. But the other issue (that are solved by switching to mobile) do suggest an issue with either your network, the dodo modem or the NBN. Perhaps try isolate the issue? Get every device off and only the phone and modem on and try Optus Sport. Also check on a wired connection (Cat5) to the modem. Do things work smoothly when not over wifi?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

So i spoke with Dodo who seem to think its due to peak congestion, even though the issue with Optus Sport live streaming is.from midnight to 4am for the normal premier league game. And Facebook just happens 24/7.

Another issue is with Google Playstore, it seems to constantly not update or install apps. This is on 4 devices in the house. However switching to Mobile Data..no problem updates and installs happen immediately. 

I also had issues with 9now and SBS on demand streaming, this on a Windows 10 8 core, 32Gb Ram, 2Gb Video. Connected via Ethernet. 

With this happeningon both wifi and Ethernet it can only be either Dodo or The Phone line that's the issue. But there was no problems on ADSL2 so i would be confident that its not the line from the house to street,  more with fibre.

End result is Dodo have asked for 4 weeks to fix their bandwidth problem.  If theres no change after this period i can terminate the contract without penalties. 

TPG NBN 100 looks appealing. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

One of the frustrations (for Optus) with Optus sports is they have no direct control over the streaming provided by other providers (who also have little incentive to make a competitors offering work well). Its possible its 'congestion' but inso much as streaming might be choppy but in general dodo etc. are stating they are providing 80% of your contracted speed in peak hour.

The Google issue is strange but does suggest an issue with pings and stability rather than speed.

FWIW you can't use ADSL performance as a predictror for FTTN speeds. Its possible the connections are not done correctly in the pit etc. and I'd be asking for a line test and looking at how much stability your NBN line has. NBN might need to look into it - if you change provider and the issue persists then you'll know its the line.

Peter Gillespie

PS I recommend ABB as a good alternative RSP if you do go looking around.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors