Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TheRealJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Optus Home 4G Wireless Broadband SLOW

Given the drama that I experienced over a period of almost 12 months with an Optus Home 4G Wireless Broadband service, I thought I'd post here to hopefully prevent others from similar experiences.

I'm aiming to give a very (very) condensed account of what transpired but the reality is that I invested a HUGE amount of time and patience trying to get this service working correctly.

Essentially, the issue was that the service was consistently slow and fairly-regularly unstable (eg. drop-outs etc.). I went through the process of raising this issue with Optus support on well over a dozen occasions and each time, was either blatently lied to and misled or simply gave up after several hours on hold (both phone and online chat) and going around in circles with incompetent support representitives.

To clarify, when I say slow I mean that during the hours of approx. 7:30am - 1am, speeds averaged 200kbp/s - 2mbp/s downstream and less than 1mbp/s upstream. After around 1-2am until 7am the next morning, different story altogether, I'd consistently hit 40mbp/s downstream and 5-10mbp/s up which told me that the issue was the Optus network, not my modem, configuration or 4G coverage.

I tried all the obvious and standard troubleshooting suggestions - external antennas, moving the modem etc. despite the fact that the signal strength was fairly consistenly high. I called, e-mailed, sent messages, tried to escalate and pleaded with Optus so many times I'd lost count and each time, was offered promises that were never honoured, incompetent "technical support", lies and even excuses such as "the tower is broken and we're waiting for parts" (and yes, I'm serious).

Finally, I filed a complaint with the TIO and even then, Optus had made no real effort to actively investigate and resolve the issue. Two new modems later, things had still not progressed.

Given that I had purchased a modem outright (Huawei B818), I held onto this and headed to a Vodafone store and got a 4G service (that was comparable in data quota and actually cost $10 less per month), threw the SIM card in the modem and sure enough, finally had a home internet connection that consistently delivers speeds of 30 - 40mbp/s downstream during on-peak periods and 60+ mbp/s off-peak.

So, to anyone who has been experiencing similar issues (and I know that certainly in and around Melbourne, there are a lot of you out there), do yourselves a favour and ditch Optus and their pathetic 4G network and support ASAP.

4 Replies
Aman_YC

Re: Optus Home 4G Wireless Broadband SLOW

Hi @TheRealJoel, really sorry to hear of your experience.

We have made a note of your post and passed this on as a feedback so that we can avoid  issues like this from  happening again.  

If you want us to check your account notes and discuss the account in details then please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning your enquiry. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@TheRealJoelRead your post and previous post regarding your speed problem and I see that you have not done allot of searching or reading on how to fix the problem(s) you were having as they may be easy to fix/work around if you had done some searching.

You will find that most telecommunications companies (all of the big ones IMHO) have staff that are given training on what I would call standard issues or in other words simple issues, but you do not have a simple issue and as such most support staff you will encounter will not be able to help you.

Good luck with Vodafone when you have a problem....

0 Kudos
TheRealJoel
Contributor
Contributor

@AndS no idea how you came to that conclusion. You're miles off btw and that's pretty evident in a number of my previous posts.

Stick to the facts and don't be so presumptuous.
0 Kudos
mywinny
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wise words...but Vodaphone coverage when mobile can be a problem?
0 Kudos
Top Contributors