cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No service on global roaming in USA

I’m literally wanting to go crazy at Optus, have had no service for two days, thought it was just a weak signal as I’m in Hawaii but no one else having problems and doesn’t matter where I go I have ‘no service’. I get wifi when it’s available somewhere and managed to online chat. Was advised there is a known issue with roaming in USA since yesterday and my problem would be escalated. Now a day later, I still have no service and am no longer able to chat online. So I CANT MAKE CALLS AND I CNAT CHAT WITH OPTUS. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO CONTACT OPTUS. I RUN MY BUSINESS FROM MY PHONE AND THIS IS KILLING ME. I’ve updated iOS, I’ve rebooted so many times, changed settings, nothing works. I’m throwing this out there to see if anyone else is with me in this extremely frustrating situation. Paying for roaming, wasted, using endless funds to use public telephones to make phone calls is beyond ridiculous. No support from Optus and zero care factor that they have stranded me and cut me off from any form of communications. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: No service on global roaming in USA

There is possibly little Optus can do as your connection is generally handled by the local Telco in the country you are in. I saw T-Mobile had a big roaming outage last month. Maybe again?

I don't know the setup there, but could you duck into a store and get a prepaid SIM that would get you up and running with local calls and data?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you Peter!

I did expect when I contacted Optus that they would say the issue was with USA providers but they actually told me that there was a ‘back end’ issue that they were trying to resolve. They gave me an estimated fix of 24 hours which has now past and now I can’t chat with them to see what the update is as there is no information anywhere regarding the advice they told me. I appreciate your response (-:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Chat and phone customer support seem under pressure lately unfortunately.

Are you using the international Optus contact number? It might get through faster? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I can’t make any phone calls including emergency.

The online chat tells me ‘technical error’, it’s 24/7 online chat and I generally try to connect outside peaks, so 2am AEST and it says busy then flicks to technical error. I’ve not had a problem before. Optus assured me I’d be contacted too and were very promising when I said I needed connection, ‘don’t worry, within 24 hours problem will be resolved’. I can’t tell them it hasn’t been. 😞 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well I am in the USA now and have been here for 2 days.. same thing.. have an issue in back end and is a problem all over USA. Sounds like it’s an ass covering excersie. 

Optis how can this issue still continue ?? Massive problem for someone trying to stay connected. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Harvey69, sorry to hear you are having issues. It will come down to your specific service and each case needs investigating case by case. If you jump into Live Chat Tech Support, they can disable/re-enable your roaming on our end which will typically fix the issue.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The best thing to do when traveling in a country is get a cheap sim for that country (they sell them at airports and some stores), it's also cheaper.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeap, Currently in the USa and second day of 'No Service' I wasted an hour live chatting with Optus help only to finally be told it was a known issue. I also run a business from my phone and it is extremely frustrating.

0 Kudos