cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Rustyhole5831
New Contributor

No Band 40 on router but Band 40 towers are there.

I have been with Optus Home WIFI 200mb for one month now. I have an outdoor antenna and more often than not have good three bars signal strength on my modem.

I frequently check my router for Band information. My router always indicates it is bouncing off anyone of my FOUR towers on BAND 3 or BAND 28. I have NEVER ever seen BAND 40 on my router.

I have FOUR towers from where my signal comes from, all four towers have BAND 40 according to OzTowers yet I have NEVER EVER seen band 40 on the router settings.

Can you tell me whay my router is not doing what OPTUS claims it does in all there paraphernalia, I believe there are penalties for FALSE or MISLEADING claims by merchants.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: No Band 40 on router but Band 40 towers are there.

Home Wireless 200GB

It may be your antenna excluding high frequencies. Try without antenna, by taking the modem up somewhere on an extension cord. Even still, 2300 doesn't penetrate anything, so you may never be able to connect.

Are you midway between the towers, or is one very close?

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

B40 is the 2300MHz spectrum I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). When it comes to the HWB service, when it's connected to the 2300MHz signal it'll allow for speeds up to 12/1Mbps (compared to the 5/1Mbps). Optus do however, limit it from connecting to the 2300MHz if they're worried about capacity given the large download allowances on it.

Basically, it sounds like you're rural. They don't have the capacity for the potential demand that your service and neighbouring services could put on the tower so in order to maintain quality of service, they're restricting you from connecting to it and achieving the higher speeds. 

I'm quite sure they're within their rights to do this.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Seems its not used everywhere. FWIW Optus don't have to use a Band 40 if they don't want to. They pretty clearly state it will be available where it is available (if that makes sense). My understanding is that Band 40 isn't particularly faster than say Band 3 (in practice), it just has a much smaller footprint and can't penetrate buildings as well as lower frequencies. I'm not sure you're missing out on much. You don't provide a postcode?

4G/LTE bands

Australia is currently using these LTE bands
2100Mhz (B1) – Telstra (a handful of sites), Optus (Tasmania), Vodafone
1800Mhz (B3) – Telstra, Optus, Vodafone
850Mhz (B5) – Vodafone 
2600Mhz (B7) – Telstra, Optus
900Mhz (B8) – Telstra (a handful of sites, utilises spectrum previously used by 2G)
700Mhz (B28) – Telstra, Optus 
2300Mhz (B40) – Optus (Vivid wireless spectrum)

Note the 2300mhz listed above is for Vivid only and is only available in some of the Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane metro areas. Ie not in NBN fixed wireless areas.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The big difference is it's the Home Wireless Broadband service. When connecting to Band 40, you jump from 5/1Mbps to 12/1Mbps so it's the potential speed difference he's worried about. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

NBN has all the 2300 in rural areas. It's pretty much an Optus city thing. Optus also had problems getting 1800 in rural areas, because miners or some riff raff wanted it.

I think the problem is more along the lines of the HWB modem not connecting to weak 2300 signals.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Rustyhole5831
New Contributor

I am not country. Look at Blissett Way 6022. Towers all around me.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'd put money on it being completely down to them not wanting to give you the higher speed to maintain quality of service. 200GB on what's essentially a mobile broadband service is a lot of data for Optus to offer so they need to put restrictions in place to make sure everyone services continue to work at an acceptable level. They don't want to go down Voda's path a few years back. 

This was a common topic of conversation when they first launched HWB. Until they make upgrades in your area and deem to feasible to offer the 12/1Mbps speeds, it won't happen sorry. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Take you modem up to the towers. Find a power point at Bunnings.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

what's that going to do?? Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Top Contributors